Saturday 25 November 2017

Friday 24th November 2017

And we have made it my friends, the weekend is just around the corner, and we just have to deal with Friday and the two and a half days off is ours. Mine would be beginning a couple of hours early as we have an appointment at the bank in town later, but for now, you know, the usual stuff.

I should not be tired, but feel worn down by the week. I think I have an easy day ahead, I did the travel expenses the previous day, as the finance department had threatened to block my card, so would not be able to travel. My boss gave me a gentle warning.

Three hundred and twenty eight There is time to register, and mails to reply to, meetings to arrange, and one final meeting, during which a bomb was dropped. As the implications sunk in, I had to leave as the taxi I had booked was waiting outside. Because even in 2017, banks keep their own opening times, closing at half three, and getting there before closing time meant not enough time for Jools to come home to pick me up; hence the taxi. I always use the same company, and all their drivers know our house with the level crossing sign outside.

The driver is in a good mood, even though business is slack; in a month it will be Christmas and times will be booming.

He drops me off at M&S, I have decided to buy some party food before meeting up with Jools. I have ten minutes, so find what I want. Or think I want. And then on another aisle I find more. Should I put the other stuff away or just buy more? I buy more.

November 2017: The St James Development, Dover Jools is waiting outside the bank. Not our bank, but Mum's. We are hoping to get power of attorney, so can pay bills for her and so on. We are showed into an office, and we go through the five pages of the form we have filled in. We get to the last part, I sign, and it all seems fine. And then the manager says, you have filled in the wrong form. Or the bank has provided us with the wrong form. And anyway, for this someone from the bank would have to be present when she signed, so they could be sure of Mum's state of mind and intention.

There is no other thing we can do than to arrange to be at the hospital next Friday, when the manager from her local branch will be at the hospital and then we go through it all again. It means another day off work, travel to and back from Suffolk. We should be angry, but what's the point?

November 2017: The St James Development, Dover We leave the bank and I go round the edge of the St James Development to take the latest shots of work as it all nears completion. In a few months we will have a cinema, new restaurants and shops. But others will close, and the HIgh Street with wither further. Is this progress?

We go home as darkness falls, the weekend had arrived. And we had a bag full of party food.

Back home we put the radio on for the Friday Free for All, and get in the mood. Mum calls, and she is in good spirits, and if things stay the same with her, preparations will begin on Monday for her return to home. She is concerned as well as happy, as this will be a real test then, to see if she can really look after herself. But she says she is walking further and further, and is doing well. I hope so.

November 2017: The St James Development, Dover I cook a couple of packs of the party food, crack open a beer, and in ten minutes we are eating away, in good spirits.

Due to football, there is no Only Conect, and Monty has put his trowel away for the winter, so a quiet night, early to bed. And ready for the weekend in the morning.

No comments: