Sunday 26 November 2017

Saturday 25th November 2017

One shopping month until Christmas.

The first frost if the season.

We are still sleeping at half six when the heating switches on I get u to switch it off, but only manage to turn it from the clock to continuous. So, I lay awake waiting for the pump tio stop pushing the hot water round the house, which it doesn't. So, I get up and am surrounded by three cats who all try to tell me how darned hungry they are.

Even before making coffee, my thoughts are of the chores for the day, which is mainly shopping. I wanted some of those lush Belgian beers I got so used to enjoy earlier this year, and thought that Sainsbury's might be a good place to look. So with Jools having a shower, I grab a bag and after putting on my coat and shoes, I drive to Deal in the morning light to see what they had. Saying that, I was livind by the time I got there, as many drivers had failed to put their lights on, and were apparently driving by brail.

I arrive safely, not sure if they do> I mean I can hardly see them, and they must see how bright lights on cars like mine must seem? Are they stupid?

I go into the shop and buy several ciders for Jools, but I find no beers that I fancy, and they had a few. I go to pay via the self service check out that there was only the one teller on duty, and there was a queue of four people with leaden trolleys.

I drive back home with it nearly being fully light, it was now half seven and the sun had risen in the east, but hidden by low clouds. Back home to unload the car and then set out for Tesco for the usual shopping suspects.

There is a new Lidl nearly finished near Tesco, Homebase has been bought out and will reopen under a new name, the new Sports Centre will open in the new year and there are several new shops near to the KFC. All these take business from the centre of town, and this will only get worse. But hey, shopping.

Tesco is quiet at quarter past eight, we get the things we need for the month, mostly cat food if I'm honest. But mincemeat for mince pies, frozen puff pastry for sausage rolls. And so on.

Back home by nine for croissants and coffee and then it was time for me to go out for more shopping. Tis time to the butchers in Preston, mainly to place the order for Christmas. By now the forecasted day of endless sunshine was overdue, but as I drove from Dover to Sandwich and then inland to the former inland sea of the Wantsum Channel, the clouds cleared, and so was a fine and very cold day indeed.

They have a new car park outside, and it is full. Inside there is a queueu, but allowing time for us to look at what is on sale, and my eyes are drawn to a row of steaks called Boston Ribs. I think I may have found the solution to Sunday's dinner.

I place the order for Christmas; nothing too surprising if I'm honest, but we had thought maybe Jen would want us round, but it seems there will be no Christmas in Whitfield.

Finally I get food for the rest of the week and freezer, and say I will see them all bright and early on Christmas Eve in 29 days! Eeek!

I drive back home in the bright low sunshine, driving south difficult as eyes were looking right into the sun. But I arrive home safe and sound to find Jools still busy from chores around the house. But we are both nearly done for the day. I mean we could have gone out to do some stuff, but the week has been hard for us both, so we decide to chill out with Huey on the radio, before having some insalata for lunch. Which brings me to the vinegar incident:

Forever to be remembered as the caramalised balsamic vinegar day.

It all came as the restaurant we went to on Thursday served up balsamci with no bitter or harsh aftertaste; when I asked they told me they caramalised theirs.

So, I like a challenge, so bought a small bottle and set about caramalising it. I found a recipe, thought that had too much sugar,, but with a ratio of 3:1 vinegar to sugar, I set about reducing the vinegar before adding the sugar.

I poured it into a bottle once reduced, and it was like magma.

I put the bottle in the fridge to cool, hoping we could use it for lunch. Half an hour later, I thought I would see how thick it was.

I had forgotten that I took the lid off the bottle in case the steam coming off the gloop caused the glass to crack. So I picked up the bottle and shook it.

A large globule of vinegar landed on my hand, so hot it did not hurt at first. I did realise it would soon smart, and it did.

And being well reduced, it did not pour off, it just stayed attached to my hand, and it began to burn.

Hand under the tap, which did begin to wash the vinegar off and cool my hand down. And after that I held the cold pack for muscle pain until it thawed out, but which point my nerves had stopped screaming.

After all that, the vinegar was too thick to pour, so was useless. It went in the bin, as I waited for my skin to peel.

Three hundred and twenty nine Silly billy.

As the afternoon went on the pain subsided, and soon I had forgotten I had done it, but my goodness that did hurt for a while.

At three there is football on the radio, and I struggle to stay awake, so take to the sofa and I think I may have dozed for half an hour. By that time Norwich were 1--0 up, but it didn't last and Preston pulled level in the 2nd, so ended a draw, and no wins in 7 games at home for City.

Bah!

I cook yet more party food in the evening. It is easy enough, a plateful each of bite sized Indian snacks. It also means little washing up.

Jools goes upstairs to watch Hinterland on her laptop, and I watch Rick Stein in Mexico, where 90% of food is cooked, laced with salsa, guacamole and put into a taco. I mean, no nattler how good the ingredients are, there are only so many variants.

Not much else to say about Saturday. Sore hand, a draw and more party food.

No comments: