Friday 24 November 2017

Thursday 23rd November 2017

Independance Day (USA)

54th Anniversary of the assassination of JFK

54th birthday of Dr. Who

54th birthday of Jools Jelltex. (UK)

As is the case on such a day, Jools gets up with the alarm and I sleep on. And on until I can smell the coffee brewing, and so that brings me to the land of the living.

"Happy Birthday" I shout. Thanks, Jools calls back.

I come down, we buy each other no cards or presents, I mean we have all we need. Time is already slipping by and she goes up for a shower and to get ready for work, while I drink coffee and check on the world, and its no surprise to find its still going to hell in a handcart.

Jools leaves, and I put the bins out before starting work at twenty past seven, in case I missed something important the evening before when the laptop was updating. No, nothing too pressing, just prepare for the weekly complaining session. Which calls for more coffee.

A walk through the autumnal leaves From the bangers and mash the night before, there was some mash and a single banger left, so before the meeting, I fry both up until both were hot and crispy, and so was in good spirits for the meeting.

A walk through the autumnal leaves And so the day continues, work piling up and me looking at the chaos on Twitter as the Brexiteers try to make sense of reality. It is messy and will get worse. Would be funny too, if it wasn't going to make us all a lot poorer.

At three I go for a walk to clear my nose, an allergy attack had been threatening to build. So over the fields to Fleet House to look at the bright ornage and yellow leaves in the late afternoon sunshine, contrasting against the clear blue sky. It was fabulous, but chilly. I turn for home.

Three hundred and twenty seven The day passes and soon afternoon comes and the thought that we are going to be going out for dinner, what with it being Jools' birthday and all that. Jools arrives home at half five, or just gone, and then her brother arrives to deliver a card and wine. Must be for Jools as the wine is white. We talk over brews about Tony and the fall out. And of our health, aches and pains. Seems we are all getting older.

Il Rustico He leaves at half six, leaving us with little time to get ready. I forgo the tux and just pull on my fleece over the t shirt; Jools does something similar and we are good to go. The plan had been to wander round the edge of the new St James development and me to take snaps, but we had run out of time and my heart wasn't in it to be honest.

We just drive into town, park up and walk over the street to the restaurant where our table was waiting. I am a creature of habit, so have insalata caprese followed by penne with a spicy sauce. Nothing to complicated, but good proper food, and very good too. Jools has panna cotta and I have a Vin Santo, dipping the biscotti I got with my coffee into it, then sucking the sweet wine from the biscuit.

We have coffee and are done. I pay the bill and we swap thoughts on the future of the town and his business. Dover will become a border town again, maybe with opportunities for entrepreneurs. Or not, who knows.

I drive us home, back up Jubilee Way, where there is time to check on the football scores and world news before it is time for bed.

No comments: