Sunday 10 March 2019

Saturday 9th March 2019

The weekend.

And a short version as I have to travel on Sunday, though not to Denmark which would have meant an eight hour day, but to the New Forest to stay in an historical hotel for 5 nights.

As you do.

And with the day already getting light as we get up, best get out to do stuff.

Spring is already under way here; snowdrops and winter heliotropes are gone over, and other early spring flowers are nearly done. Flowers like Wood Anemones are already out in some places, whilst bluebells and orchids are putting up leaves and spikes in preparation for flowering. We will see orchids flowering in March this year.

We go to Tesco to get a few essentials, but our spending has crashed, just fifty quid this week, and that is larger than normal now. Jools is into her second month of her shakes supported diet. She will do one more month and then we will revert to portion control and cutting down carbs where possible.

We come back, have a second coffee and me some fruit, then we part our ways, as Jools does not want to churchcrawl with me, but will instead visit an old friend in town, so catch the bus later. Leaving me to churchcrawl to my heart's delight.

I had made an appointment for Molash church to be unlocked, and needed to be there at ten, should take just over half an hour to get there, so leave at just after nine, cruise the way up the A2, past Canterbury then down the Stour Valley towards Ashford. It was clouding and drizzling at home, but once inland the clouds cleared and the sun broke through, making it a fine morning.

I am at the church at ten to ten, try the door to find it locked, so sit on a bench in the sunshine and out of the wind, waiting for the keyholder to come. I see a Red Admiral in the cherry tree beside the path, and I could have chased it for a shot, but i was happy enough to let is bask unhindered on a nearby gravestone.

Tine passed, and no one came.

There was a church nearby at Challock, where I wanted to check out a rare plant that I know grows there, so I risk leaving and drive the three miles to the village, then down the long and little used lane to the church.

I go to the glade where the Toothwort should grow, and under one beech, I find two spikes, in flower and looking glorious. The sun was in, so I get the ringflash out and take shots and they come out fine.

Sixty eight Back to Molash where the porch is still locked.

It was now 11, so I check the list; there were three churches nearby that I had to postcode to, so I program the sat nav and off we go.

A ten minute drive away I come to the first church, all locked up. I try the porch, but it is locked fast. A notice suggests going to see the local priest who lived 400 yards away. 400 yards along a busy road, so I drove, and parked on the bridleway near his home. Can I have the key for the church?

I'll do better than that, I'll come and unlock it for you.

So he followed me back to the church, where I got into a conversation with a lady dogwalker about churches and wild orchids. Her eyes sparkled with joy as I described the orchids I had found and seen over the years. She said she could talk to me all day about orchids and butterflies. And I could talk all day about them too!

But there was a church to snap, and she had her husky to walk. So, she finishes by asking if she could hug me for the talk we had and the passion for churches and orchids. Who was I to refuse a lady?

I go in to the church and snap it. The priest shows me two large brasses that were hidden in a side chapel, so I could get those too.

There are three churches in the beneface, and the second I had already snapped, but the third I had missed, a simple two cell church with ancient tree trunks simply holding up the peg tiled roof. Sadly, not much of interest inside, but was perfect in its simplicity.

I was way behind the plan for the day, so I decide to head back home, not without trying Molash one last time, but it was still locked. And the lord of the nearby manor nearly forced me off the road in his Bentley.

It was still locked.

Oh well.

Back home and I realise I had not eaten or drunk since breakfast, so make a huge brew and toasted sandwiches, and as soon as I had eaten, I get a call from Jools to collect her from town. so I go.

Back home for three and another brew, before making dinner at four while I lsiten to the football, Leeds win, Sheffield Utd win, so its as you were.

Still ten games to go, and we're top.

Then off to Whitfield for more cards, and the last such night for six weeks as Jen is heading to Oz to see friends and family next weekend. So, we have a pleasant night, though we lose heavily and are nearly out of money.

But still playing with the same three quid we started with 15 months ago, as the money we all have just moves from person to person.

No comments: