Monday 20 January 2020

Looking after your own interests

Our friend John is 84 years old, a lifelong railwayman, father, grandfather and great grandfather, and was very proud to have voted against leaving the EU "for my children and grandchildren".

A worthy attitude, I'm sure we all agree.

But on Saturday, talk turned to politics and our current Government and it turned out John voted Tory, "I had to look after my pension".

I am lost for words on this, that a union ma would be taken in by Johnson's lies and so vote Tory, but to put his interests above those of his family and future generations.

If this attitude is rolled out nationwide, and it seems that many more older people voted for Johnson than had voted before, then it explains that 80 seat majority.

If Brexit goes as badly as expected, then cuts will have to come from everywhere, even pensions, as "we're all in this together", or that used to be the mantra, when he complains should I sympathise or just say, well, if you dance with the devil don't be surprised when he steps on your toes.

I suppose my point here is that the Boomer Generation is happy enough taking all it can out of the welfare system, and when confronted by the fact numbers don't add up, is happy enough to deprive the disabled, sick or poor of benefits, and also happy to pull the ladder up to stop those behind from getting pensions for up to another seven years. The welfare system relies on the current working generation supporting those who have retired, I am beginning to see where this contract may not be honoured by the current workers, seeing as they are always being told how lazy and greedy they are.

As a country, we deserve everything we get from this shitshow.

No comments: