Friday 10 January 2020

Thursday 9th January 2020

Dateline: Barrow in Furness.

Yes, still here, though later in the day I will be able to escape. But first there is the minor hangover to deal with.

I say hangover, not quite, but Wednesday I had more falling down juice than I have been recently used to. I wake at half five, put on the radio and lay in the dark as my brain tries to get things straight.

One thing my brain and stomach agree on is that something more substantial than fruit was needed for breakfast.

In the end I get dressed, have a shower then dress and pack my rags into the huge case. I am ready. It was half seven.

I have a plateful of bacon and sausages, no hash browns available, but there was a bap to put the meat into. Which seems like a good idea. I put all the bacon and sausages in the bap, and try to eat it, just getting it in my mouth.

Yumyumyum.

That sorted out, I check out, load the car and drive to the office, through the submarine shipyard, the road lined with impressive brick buildings, and lined with hundreds of parked cars, show that the submarine building business is going great guns.

At the office I finish the audit, ring round to clear some issues up, have lunch and by midday I am ready to leave.

I go round to say goodbye to folks, and they seemed to think I did OK, which is nice. But then I have yet to write my report.

I leave the town in bright sunshine, but on the fells of the Lake District, dark clouds were gathering. It would be a wet journey, it seemed.

Nine I pass a sign pointing to Windamere, I would love to have gone, but time was getting on already. There might be other times I thought as I turned south towards the motorway.

Rain began to fall, the road twisted along valleys and over rivers, hills rose steeply on both side. But soon the land flattened out, and I came to the motorway.

I put my foot down and the car roared off, until I reached cruising speed.

Back down south, for a while until pass Manchester, and I turn east along the M62, just oe junction to Birchwood, and the business park where my hotel, and employer's head office is.

It was three, I could have gone into work for an hour or so, instead I check in, go for a shower and read before nodding off.

A couple of hours later I go down for dinner, the menu is limited, so I chose burger, fries and a Coke. While I wait, I read some of my new book, until food arrives and I give it my full attention.

And that is another day done, time to lay in bed and listen to the radio before falling asleep.

No comments: