Saturday 5 February 2022

Friday 4th February 2022

Imagine my surprise to find via an ad on Facebook that Pere Ubu not only are to play within 20 miles of Chez Jelltex, they were doing so next week.

I will try to get tickets.

I suppose, after growing up in an area that had very few gigs, to be somewhere now where we get backs here in Dover, in Deal, Folkestone, Margate, Canterbury and even Bexhill is only an hour way, so gigging is now possible.

An evening walk in Canterbury Pere are not doing a concert, as such, but is a performance of their take of Canterbury Tales with a mix of music, drama and poetry.

Its still Pere Ubu, and who wouldn't want to go?

I have tickets now, just need someone to go with as Jools isn't too sure.

An evening walk in Canterbury The day after we're going to see Kate Bush's original backing band doing a night of early Kate songs of stuff we might and might not know.

And coming after the meal out last Wednesday and as it turned out, eating out again on Friday afternoon, it seems life is getting back to normal, although I know its not.

An evening walk in Canterbury Friday is an early start for Jools as she has her yoga class, and I sleep through the alarm again. I do wake at wuarter to six, as Jools is getting dressed, so before I have drnunk the first coffee, she is going into the dark, leaving me to put out the bins ready for the three collections that day.

An evening walk in Canterbury At seven we have our weekly social meeting: things in India are getting better now too, and stress levels seem to be reducing. In Denmark its pretty much the same as here, restrictions being eased without there really the data to support it. We are all weary of the fight, lets hope the virus is too.

An evening walk in Canterbury The two major meetings I had planned were postponed until next week, meaning I just had admin to do, completing another travel expense report even though I didn't travel. It seems a cancelled trip is even more expensive than actually doing it.

An evening walk in Canterbury Who knew?

Anyway, that done, it was just a case of watching the clock tick to two in the afternoon, and then I could wrap up and pack the laptop away.

An evening walk in Canterbury We were supposed to be going into Canterbury to meet Tracie and Wayne for dinner before they move to the Lake District next week, but they both came down with colds (not COVID, yet), so with that cancelled, and that we had been looking forward to going to the city, we thought, I thought, why not go anyway?

An evening walk in Canterbury So, once Jools came home and we had a brew and I had watched yet another train video, we set off for Canterbury at three, before the evening rush began.

We park near the old Abbey, and walk into the centre across the ring road, then down cobbled streets ending up on College Street, where before I wasn't hungry, but the nearer we got to the Korean Cowgirl, the anticipation of some fusion BBQ meant I was more than ready to eat, as long as they had a table.

An evening walk in Canterbury Every table was free, so we got one away from the window, we have a drink; blackberry martini for Jools and a beer for me, while we look at the menu.

There was just one choice for me; ribs, but with Korean style sides; spicy corn cobs with sour cream and fried Korean cauliflower. And fried.

Yummy.

It came soon and was magnificent.

We eat it all.

Jools as another cocktail and I had a coffee, mainly to while away another 15 minutes while the sun went down and the lights came on, ready for some photography action.

An evening walk in Canterbury We had some time still to kill, so we go into the Shakespeare for another drink. I have a glass of wine and Jools has some cider.

We chat to a couple from Bristol about churches and other stuff, but the bright lights of the city were calling, so we take our leave.

Back outside, sadly Chistchurch Gate is locked, so we couldn't get into the Cathedral Presinct, so taking shots as we went, we walk back to the car, and that was that.

Thirty five We drive home, taking our time, getting back soon after seven, thus having missed the music quiz again.

We have a coffee, and that is that.

I listen to some cup football on the radio, as Man Utd with Ronaldo, losse to Middlesborough, though on penalties after extra time, meaning it was nearly eleven by the time I make my way to bed.

No comments: