Saturday 2 July 2022

Friday 1st July 2022

Jools had the day off for a family funeral. It was for, I guess her Aunt, Maz. She had been ill for some time and outlived Tony's brother by a few years. I have met them before, at a funeral, funnily enough, but not enough to go to the one one on Friday, so I will stay home and try to catch up on work. We could have laid in bed until gone six, but our brains got us up at quarter to five. That's four forty five. In the freakin morning. At six, Jools went to Tesco, I did the bins and made a second coffee. Al ready to log on at seven. Odd thing is, I had a list of things to do, and rattled through them in an hour. Had the final version of the report done, sent two mails to act on the major findings, all before eight in the morning. One hundred and eighty two I felt better about work. For a change. I made breakfast for us both; fruit and ypgurt and coffee ready to put on as soon as Jools returned from Tesco. It was warm enough for Jools to sit outside to eat, which is how she came to discover there was only just over half an hour to get changed and drive to Denton for the funeral.

July has broken She did get there on time, while I stayed here and work away, attending meetings and saying surprisingly clever things when asked.

Jools returned at one. We had a sandwich, while I did my last hour of work.

Now, we could have gone for a walk, maybe should have done, but it was windy, and we were very tired. Instead we had an ice cream and a coffee, as we had to perk up for the evening.

A plea popped up on FB, with The Lantern saying that a party of 12 could not make the sushi night, did anyone want to book a last minute table for the night? I asked Jools.

We did.

So, that was dinner sorted.

At six there was the music quiz, I came 7th, should have been higher had I gone with my gut feeling. But there we go, its all for fun.

And then off down to Hill through Martin Mill to Martin, picking up a couple on the way walking up the narrow lane, obviously going to the pub: did they want a lift?

No.

OK, yes.

Thanks.

Sadly, we were seated next to a gobshite who loved the sound of his voice and thought himself interesting and funny. He was also a prat.

But there you go.

But the food was good:

Miso soup.

Three sushi.

Wagu beef.

Pork panko with sticky rice.

And ice cream to finish.

Lovely.

The Lantern is like the most fashionable bar in town, in a tiny village. The owner is trying very had to make it work, and I think he'll do it. The kitchen was doing the Japanese evening, a full bar menu and the pizza oven outside was going full tilt. The staff behind the bar worked non stop.

We left at half nine, just as dusk was falling, the end of a fine day.

No comments: