Tuesday 12 July 2022

Monday 11th July 2022

The warnings regarding hot weather were getting more shrill as each day passes. THe weekend, temperature records might be broken.

That news of this is being widely reported, of course, but almost no outlets are linking this with climate change, which causes more extreme weather events. Like record high temperatures.

But lets pretend the highest temperatures for hundreds of years is normal.

As it was, Monday was going to be a scorcher.

Jools went swimming at six, and so I was left drining coffee and pondering how to stay cool. I opened the front door to, so to allow a flow of cooler air. The cats had already gone to find places cool to sleep through the day.

I am the butterfly collector When we went to pick up my prescriptions from Tesco, it hadn't been ticked in the system by the surgery, so first thing I had to walk there and be there when it opened, as calling would be hopeless. I had run out of tablets, the most import was for gout, as it has been at bay for now over a year.

I work for an hour, then set off along the road and up Station Road, so to be there at half eight when it opened. It meant walking amoung families going to school too. With my camera, I got some looks, but walked past the school gate and up the slope.

I am the butterfly collector After a twenty minute wait, I was assured that it would be sorted, so I texted Jools to call in Tesco on her way home.

Job done.

I walked back down along KIngsdown Road, then down the Dip and then past the farm and up to Windy Ridge.

This I did as the morning sun warms the hedge at the side of the wood, and butterflies ususally bask, so I could get shots.

I am the butterfly collector I am getting worried now about the lack of butterflies this season. At times I have seen lots, but not that many round here. And the more I look the more concerned I am. I did see a few Gatekeepers, but there should be more. Same with Large Skippers and Meadow Browns; one or two, but not that many. And for high summer on a warm summer morning, there should be many, many more.

One hundred and ninety two I do snap a Gatekeeper and a Meadow Brown that did bask long enough, but having reached the end of the wood, I turn for home.

Once home, I made a brew and had breakfast, then started work, making a presentation for my boss's boss.

That kept me busy all day, stopping just for lunch.

The bread I made last tHursday was already going mouldy in the humidity, but just down one side, so I cut that off, and then a slice and power up the grill for some toast.

I am the butterfly collector It was too hot for anything in the afternoon, several nights of broken sleep meant I was having trouble concentrating, but that was OK as 80% of the company is on their summer holibobs.

I am the butterfly collector I sort of snooze once work finished, and so an hour or so passed.

I made tortillas for dinner: marinated and griddled some chicken, made salsa, then had the memainder of the tripel left over from Sunday.

It was spicy, but bearable, and with the beer, nice and cooling.

England played their second game in the women's Euros against Norway, and I though Norway had looked good, so thought it might be tricky for England. It was 6-0 at half time, so I thought I could go to bed then safe in the knowledge the three points were safe. It ended 8-0.

No comments: