Monday 16 October 2023

Sunday 15th October 2023

And so followed Sunday.

Usually a day of rest and football, but with the international break, I'd have to make do with egg-chasing later.

But after getting up at half six, having coffee, then fruit and more coffee, we climbed into the car as I needed a haircut. As the one I had in Canterbury wasn't harsh enough, so needed a major pruning.

A glorious sunny, if cold morning, just too warm for frost again, but enough to make you wish you'd put a coat on. Jools said it was lovely and warm in the sunshine.

Not really the whole truth with a keen breeze blowing, so once we had parked at Radnor Park and I had walked up the Old High Street, past the cinema to the barbers, I wasn't that hot.

Two hundred and eighty eight And as I reached the shop, as if by magic the door was unlocked and opened for me, allowing me to be the first in the chair.

He got to work, and soon I could see my head again, and to complete the job, eyebrows, nose and ear hairs were trimmed too.

I walked back down to The Old High Street, where Jools was talking to Mary, and sharing a coffee. I joined them in the aptly named Steep Street Café then sat down to chat.

However, time was short, as I had invited Jen for Sunday dinner, and John was coming too, so I had to put the joint in the oven.

Off we went, over the cliffs back up to Capel and along back to Dover, then up to the Duke of Yorks to home.

I weighed the beef: three and a half pounds. So I seasoned it, dusted with flour and worked out the cooking time so it would all be ready at half one.

Potaoes were boiled, then I put in to roast next to the beef, I had found a recipe from Heston and said crispy potatoes. It took time and needed to understand the science. They came out not perfect, but crispyish and tasty.

I was an oven shot for Yorkshire pudding, but Jools suggested using the meat tin once that was cooked, so I made the batter, added some oil with the juices, poured in the batter and set on high.

It roast wonderfully, and went very crispy at the edges, while the flatter parts took on the flavour of the meat.

Yummy.

Add steamed veggies, and lashings of gravy, and it was a fine, fine meal.

They clear away, and we play cards, but I fail to get good hands, and lose with a record high score. As Jen said it was good it wasn't a penny a point.

So, we were done, and so I could watch England in the rugby. I must have watched a different game from the experts, as I thought England lethargic and failed to press the ball carrier.

The evening game of France v South Africa was a different kettle of fish, with high skill, high energy and lots of tries. South Africa knocking the hosts out by a single point. Phew.

4 comments:

nztony said...

If only you'd walked a minute up The Old High Street you'd have bumped into the Vintage and Vinyl Record Shop - I reckon that would have been right up your street.

jelltex said...

My turntable isn't working, so can't really buy any records if I can't play them. Rather annoying as it was rather expensive

nztony said...

This is not good news, the mighty Rega Plana 2 isn't even that old I believe.
Perhaps you will replace it with a Linn Sondek LP12 one day.

jelltex said...

I took it to a repair place, they rebalanced the arm, and when I got it back home, it was OK for half an hour, then back to how it was.

The treble is out of control, makes some tracks sound like the vinyl is worn out, when its fine.

Really not happy. And the nearest Rega repair place is in Brighton