Tuesday 3 October 2023

Monday 2nd October 2023

Monday.

And back to work.

Or in this case, work in a new place.

Which I had to find.

The alarm went off at six, and I was up and having breakfast at half past, munching on potato and sausage bread roll and lashing of coffee.

I program the location of the office, on a quayside near the fjord, or lagoon that sits between the mainland and island of Fanø.

Rain came down in the half-light of dawn, and I turned off the main street through some light and heavy industry that surrounds the harbour to the office, park outside and gird my loins for the day's auditing ahead.

I was auditing friends here, Pau was the manager at my first solo audit on a small island in the middle of Denmark (Sprogø), in listed buildings that had been built to house "women of loose morals", the mainland then a two mile swim in dangerous waters away, but now linked by a modern hybrid road/rail bridge/tunnel construction.

Six hours later, I was done, all audited out, and no need for the second day, so I could use that to write up my report.

Back to the hotel for a shower and a brew, before going to meet up with Henrik at my favourite place to eat in the city, Bones.

Henrik had called another friend, Jesper, to come along, so it was a happy meeting when they both pulled up in a large white SUV, and after parking we hugged and slapped each other on the back.

Good times.

Inside I have ribs and fries and beer. The others have steak or a mixed grill. And beer.

Two hundred and seventy five We talk as we eat, but time is slipping through our fingers, Jesper is off travelling to Scotland for work in the morning, and needs to go back home to his family.

Blue hour in Esbjerg We part, and I walk back to the hotel in the blue hour, the skies now clear of clouds, and a day nearer going home.

No comments: