Saturday 11 April 2020

Friday 10th April 2020

Good Friday.

Though not if you're a fish.

Yes, this is the sad story of a fish.

We don't own a fish, nor do we know anyone who does.

But Mulder knows someone who does. Or did.

So, we sat at the table having early morning coffee, and we hear Mulder give one of his "oh, I've got something for your dinner" meows.

I spin round in the chair and he drops this goldfish at my feet. Not just a goldfish, but a frilly, fancy dandy thing with frilly fins and tail. It is wounded, but alive.

I grab the fish and pop it into one of our wildlife ponds to see what would happen.

Mulder meanwhile wanted a reward. A food based reward. Then went to bed.

The goldfish lay on its side for while, seemed to perk up, so I moved it to the large pond, hoping that the space and cool depths would help.

It didn't, but that is a story for the next daily post.

But, that was an interesting start.

We have coffee, then breakfast and more coffee.

And then I make buns. Saffron buns.

Te traditional (in this house) Easter food, made with bread flour, yeast and saffron (obviously). I mix up the dough, mix it some more, add all the ingredients. Mix some more, then leave for three hours to rise.

After dossing around for three houses, I knead the dough down, make eight buns and put them on a greased tray ready for the second rising. It is Easter.

An hour later I put the first tray in a hot oven, and soon there were fine smells.

25 minutes later:

Once cooked, I put them on a tray to cool, then make a huge fresh brew, cut and butter a bun, a small loaf in reality, and we sat down to watch an episode of The Expanse.

These are salad days.

Not much else to tell about Good Friday, really.

One hundred and one We listen to music, sit in the garden, think about having more buns, but save ourselves for dinner of marinated chicken stir fry, which I am becoming a dab hand at, though I just put a load of oils, spices and vinegar in a jug and whisk.

Small White Pieris rapae Seems to work.

I cook up the chicken, do the stir fry and cook the noodles until they're crispy.

Add wine (in a glass) and perfect.

Friday is Rick Stein and Gardener's World night on TV. We are all washed up, sitting down with another saffron bun and brew for eight as Rick travels along the French coast on the Mediterranean. Too much seafood, but looked fabulous.

And Gardeners World then tried to make sense of the new reality by planting more things.

Sensible policies for crazy times.

No comments: