Saturday 18 April 2020

Friday 17th April 2020

24 years ago, Dad died of a massive heart attack whilst cycling home from work. He was just 57 years old.

His Father also died of a heart attack aged 57.

I am 54.

I am taking this shit seriously.

Saying that, I did not think of Dad once yesterday. I mean, I know its close to the anniversary, but the actual date slipped me by. That doesn't mean I don't think about him still. I do. Just that time is fading the memories, what his voice sounded like, what made him laugh, made him happy.

Soon this will happen to my memories of Mum too.

I was bored the other day, on the cross trainer, and I worked out I would be 62 when Dad would have been dead as long as we was alive to me.

They are reunited now, and I am sure they have had plenty to talk about. But life goes on.

And next up is Friday.

And once you have done an audit there comes the task of writing an audit report.

So it goes, so it goes.

We were both awake before five in the morning, waiting for dawn, of course, and already the blackbirds were singing. Loudly. They all have shares in PPE suppliers they told me.

Jools has a yoga class at half six, and I have my daily meeting at half seven, so as she logged on I am scampering up the stairs to the cross trainer, where the i pod seems to have given up. It stated to play, but all tracks skipped and then it wouldn't switch off. Not sure if you can still get i pods or how to get data off this one.

One hundred and eight If you can.

But it works just long enough so I finish the session, time then to have a shower, make breakfast and coffee for Jools and I before I log onto the work VPN and am on time for the meeting.

Big news this week is our boss, ultimate boss, is stepping down. So we are all a-buzz as to what this might mean.

And then onto work, where I stare at a blank summary report hoping it would fill itself in. It won't, so I stare at my notes, stare at the blank form and start pounding the keyboards.

Its a start.

Friday mornings are now made of meetings. Every week. After the early morning get together there is the auditors knowledge sharing meeting. Two hours of auditors talking about audits and ISO standards. This is my life now.

Here's looking at you kid And then the weekly catch up with my boss.

By which time it is 11.

And Jools has done her yoga, done gardening, and was then at Tesco in Whitfield, doing some hunter gathering.

And I plough on with the audit report and Jools returns from Tesco, laden with supplies. And makes me bacon butties to tide me over until lunchtime.

This is the life.

At half one, I make ham rolls. And a brew.

It's curtains for Jools And soon after the day, at least for work, is done. But outside it is like February, and blowing a gale, so we don't go out. Instead we listen to the radio and Jools begins making the blackout blinds she has been planning for years.

We don't sleep too well in summer when there is just four hours darkness, maybe these will help.

She has a roll or what looks like red velvet and another of tick backing.

She starts to cut.

Dinner was left over prime rib, warmed in the oven and served with the remaining gravy, steamed veg, roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.

It was magnificent. Even if I say so myself.

Lots of vegetables, which is always good. And the thich beef and onion gravy is splendid.

The evening is made up of sitting on the sofa watching Rick Stein, Gardener's World and another cooking show.

All done, and now the weekend.

But first, bed.

No comments: