Friday 15 December 2023

Thursday 14th November 2023

So, as the clock ticks towards seven in the morning, with nature performing a free pyrotechnics display out the back of the house, just time to take a few shots before knuckling down to work.

The colours so bright that it reflects off the houses on the other side of the street, and a for few minutes it seems the whole word is on fire.

Thursday That, however soon fades, and thoughts turn to work and the tasks I had to complete, in particular the presentation of the report from my trip to France at the end of the day, and the further presentation of the daft findings of the audits this week. And much work to be done to get it up to being in a state to be presented.

Lets go to work Thing is, listening in to an audit while trying to keep notes is difficult, and at times, important details were missed, so the meeting somewhat helped.

So, the day was filled with me working on the three reports, which for the most part was me staring into the middle distance looking for inspiration.

And making brews, of course.

I have meetings all after for the presentations, and once done, with more notes taken, my brain had turned to mush so logged off and did some more staring into space.

Time was in short supply, as pretty much as soon as we ate dinner, I would head out to meet up with a friend to go and see a gig on Thanet. So, for ease, I defrosted some tagine and boiled some rice. So when Jools came home I woolfed it down, left Jools to wash up, I grabbed my coat and climbed in the car.

It was a pleasant drove up to Sandwich and onto the isle which is no longer an island.

I was to meet Pete at The Royston before walking down to a pub for the gig.

I parked opposite the micropub, went in and grabbed a pint to nurse until Peter tuned up.

After they downed two rounds, I drove the car to The Wrotham Inn (pronounced Root-ham) to see the main two figures in R&B revivalists, Nine Below Zero do two sets of soul and blues. But mainly blues.

I first saw them on one of the Young Ones shows, looking like a younger Dr Feelgood, they also played fast, stripped down R&B and were great.

Open All Hours I never did get to see them play, even missing them supporting The Stranglers a few years back, as Pete wanted another beer before we went in.

So, anyway. We meet at the pub, go in and its not crowded, and the duo have set up on the tiny stage, and dead on eight they pick up their instruments and begin, 90 minutes of blues and soul, which was really very good, all the better for being in a small venue.

Three hundred and forty eight Come half nine, I bail, and get lost walking the hundred yards to where I left the car, thanks to Google maps, I find it, and drive back along pretty quiet roads and through light mist, getting back just before half ten, and time to have a wee dram of the Japanese whisky before bed.

No comments: