Thursday 28 December 2023

Wednesday 27th December 2023

It is Twixmas, or the period between Christmas and New Year when nothing really happens.

Three hundred and sixty one Who wants to do more shopping after Christmas, the fridge is full of chocolate and cold cuts and the same old films are on the TV.

St Margaret's Bay With Storm Gerrit at its height, and the high tide at 11:00, we headed down St Margaret's Bay for the first time in ages to see if the rollers were rolling in.

St Margaret's Bay Not that rough, the wind was in the south east, I think, but rough enough to make it a poor experience unlucky enough to be on the ferry.

St Margaret's Bay A few other hardy souls down there, and the tea hut was open doing slow business, I guess. I take a few shots and we walk back to the car.

Next we would drive to St Martin's Battery to see how the waves looked battering the harbour arm.

St Martin's Battery, Dover A quick drive up the cliffs and through the village, along the Deal Road, past the Castle and into town, then up Military Road on Western Heights, brought us to St Martin Battery, now a look out.

St Martin's Battery, Dover Jools sat in the car while I walked along the muddy track to a clear view of the town and harbour, and taking shots of the waves breaking over Admiralty Pier, though not spectacular waves.

St Martin's Battery, Dover I linger for twenty minutes or so, hoping to see a train below, but none comes. So, I walk to the car, look at my watch and see it was twenty to twelve.

St Martin's Battery, Dover What to do?

Pub.

I check on the opening hours for The Berry, and that didn't open until four, but The Freed Man opened at midday.

St Martin's Battery, Dover Ker-ching.

We drove back into town, then along Townwall Street, up Jubilee Way and along to Walmer, parking outside the bar. It was two minutes past opening time, and the door was open.

The Freed Man, Upper Walmer, Kent We go in, I order a pint of mild for me, and half of cider for Jools. We took a seat and chatted to the landlord, Ian.

Jools and I play uckers, the game went to the last piece, and Jools won.

She drove us home, where I cook warmed up ragu and pasta, plus made some garlic bread out of the lest over focaccia.

And wine.

We clear up.

Get sleepy.

And snooze the afternoon through.

That left just a generous slice of Christmas cake a brew to see us through to bedtime, but there's always football to divert us. I mean me.

No comments: