Sunday 24 September 2017

Saturday 23rd September 2017

For the last two months or so, whenever the weekend comes round, there has been something to do. All my own fault I hasten to add, but still, it would be nice just to have a weekend when there was nothing we need to go out for, so able to go out, if we fancied it. So, it came to pass, other than going out for shopping, we had nothing planned, so an afternoon on the sofa listening to the footy was planned, by me at least.

For a change, we decided to go to Sainsbury's instead of Tesco, as they have better cider apparently, so the in house cider expert tells me. And I hoped to top up on some ingredients for cooking. Only problem was they don't do scan and shop there, so in order not to be ticked off by the average zombie shopper and queues at the tills, it is best to be in and out by eight. And of course, this means that Saturday morning, we both lay asleep until after seven, scrambling up and I say I will go shopping.

It is a pleasant drive into Deal, especially when there are few others about. And from The Strand I could even see the French coast, a wonderful clear start to the day.

A quick trip round the shop, round and round looking for something in particular. I ask where it is; oh we don't stock that any more. Bugger. Anyway, I have everything else, so join a line at one of the tills, and watch as a woman in her 60s packs her bags as slowly as possible, then counts out her bill of over a hundred quid in fivers. One. Two. Three. And so on.

Unlike her, I put the items on the belt in the order they need packing, meaning I am done and paid in a few minutes, loading the car up and on my way home just before eight.

After breakfast, we drive over to Preston so I can go to the butchers, and Jools goes to the garden centre for some winter pansies. By now traffic was heavy, especially near to Sandwich, and not made easier by most people not using their indicators. How there aren't more accidents, I don't know. But we turn off on the Canterbury road, traffic is lighter, so with the Huey show on the radio, driving is enjoyable, and with the sun shining, it even feels likes summer. Although at the butchers, they have opened the book for Christmas orders, autumn is more certainly here.

I get some steak for the weekend, chicken fillets for the freezer, and some cheese for an easy meal during the week.

Jools has her plants, so I pay, and we are off back home, retracing our way back to Whitfield, past the first dozens of the thousand-plus new houses being built beside the main road.

Now for the next bit of orchid news: I know groans all round. But, earlier in the summer, I ordered some cultivated hardy orchids from a reputable supplier from the Hardy Orchid Society magazine, and this week the two rhizomes arrived, so needed planting. Or potting anyway. I have a CSO and a Bee, the Bee came already potted, so just watered that, then potted the CSO, watered that as well, now we have to wait until the end of may. Although the Bee had a rosette already formed, and the CSO was showing signs of fresh growth.

Two hundred and sixty seven So excited; orchids of my very own!

Anyway, to te sofa and don't spare the beer! Yes, because of holidays, eclipses, Old Oak Common, Heritage Open Day, Open House, I have not been at home all season, not a major inconvenience I admit, but there is something about sitting inside listening to the scores from 40 games taking place at the same time, and a goal from Accrington Stanley being given as much importance as one from Anfield. Anyway, despite playing at home, Norwich could not score, so drew 0-0, but that's still only one goal conceded in 5 games. OK if you're a glass half full kinda guy I suppose.

Elsewhere, there were goals, sending offs and some other stuff. But, only one result mattered.

As usual on a late summer's evening, we have insalata for dinner; some shop bought focaccia to eat with it. Not as good as mine, but less time to prepare.

And that was our quiet Saturday. Shopping, football and gardening. Lovley.

No comments: