Thursday 7 September 2017

Wednesday 6th September 2017

Dawn breaks over Chez Jelltex, and Jools is already up making her lunch and feeding the cats. Outside the eastern horizon is an orange line showing where the sun will rise in the next hout. It fades to blue then to black above my head as I look out the back room window. I think I should photograph it, so go downstairs to take the shot with the compact.

Coffee is brewing, and it is the moment of contemplation before it is ready, I hear the little pot bubbling knowing that coffee nirvana is nearly here.

And Jools is like a whirlwind through the house; she has breakfast, sweeps upstairs, has a shower, is dressed and gathering her stuff before going out the back door. And then there is silence. I had better shatter it with some loud music, so put on Radcliffe and Maconie on the computer and go to make my own breakfast. The cats all go upstairs to their various favourite spots to sleep the morning through.

I have lost my mojo. I can't explain why, but finding very underwhelmed by being back to work, and the chaos I see day after day. I am trying, but each day is a struggle not to just throw my hands up in the air and walk away. I am trying, but yesterday was a new low. Being ignored by mails and phone calls did not help.

I have lunch by ten, and so am hungry again by one, and find the last bit of fried crusty bread from the weekend. I find some strong cheddar I forgot I had, toasty toasty, and in a few minutes, lovely cheese on toast. Perfect with a huge brew.

Outside it is a glorious day; the sun shines bright, but lower in the sky. So low that the rays fall on the bobbing sunflowers, illuminating them as I look from the house. I decide this also calls for a picture or two. And on the other side of the dip, trees cast long shadows onto the meadows; the year is getting old, even in the sunshine there is a nip in the air, it feels like autumn.

Two hundred and forty nine Time for another brew, and as I go inside the cats are awake, and the only way to have peace and quiet is to feed them. I know, I know, should be stronger, but anything for a quiet life.

The day passes until I can switch off the computer for another 16 hours, until the morning anyway. But then there is the phone people can snap me out of my reverie. If needed.

I slice, then egg and breadcrumb aubergine, if there was another vegetable I would be doing this to. There is the radio on, and my mood lightens. I fry one slice then try to ensure its flavour and crispiness.

Jools is back home on time, having left at five for a change, and dinner is ready as she walks in. I ask her to pour wine, and we can sit down and discuss our days.

And that is it: we watch more Who do You Think you Are, whilst eating a Magnum, perfect. And so come to the end of another day, but one a day nearer the weekend. Which is nice.

No comments: