Friday 15 September 2017

Thursday 14th September 2017

Talking to my friend Gary whilst waiting for the train on Wednesday, I said how good it was that the usual allergies had not happened so far this year, and how careful I had been with shower gel and deodorant and the rest. Therefore it will not be a surprise to learn then that the first allergy attack of the year arrived 12 hours later, soon after getting up. I had the first 30 second sneezing fit. I took an allergy pill, which was then followed by a longer sneezing fit, but it did then fade away.

So here we are back on the train with interrupted sleep, wooly headed days resulting from lack of sleep, and me at a loss as to what is causing these things at this time of year.

But life and work goes on. I am up and Jools is heading out the door as I come down the stairs, looking for coffee. The pot is all ready to go, just have to turn the cooker on. And in a few minutes I have coffee. Strong sweet coffee.

I drink that and then put the bins out, and am ready and raring to go when the first meeting of the day starts at eight. And once that had finished I could stand outside, get some fresh air in the warm sunshine, hoping that the allergy would continue to ease.

Two hundred and fifty seven I have lunch by ten, which is par for the course when I'm at home. Don't know why I'm so darned hungry. Boredom probably.

And then there is the long afternoon of the soul, which I fill with the making of scones. Yes, scones. And how do you pronounce scone; is it scone or scone? I say scone, but they taste the same anyway.

Huckleberry Jam I brought all the way from Yellowstone, as it is the best jam ever. Or it could be that it is impossible to get over here in the UK that makes it taste so good. So I make the scones, bake them just before five so when Jools returns home before six, they are out of the oven and cool enough to eat too.

Fresh scones with butter, clotted cream and huckleberry jam Jools arrives home and I slice, butter the scones, then smother with jam and clotted cream. There are fresh brews too, and dinner is ready, and very good it is too, especially with the home made scones. Out in the world, Arsenal are playing FC Koln, and 20,000 germans turn out, delaying the game with the threat of violence. It was only half time when I give up at ten and go to bed.

A quiet day, and ending with the storm winds dying out.

No comments: