Friday 13 October 2017

Saturday 7th October 2017

I had to set the alarm again this morning, as I wanted to be up in time as Jools was driving up from Kent, and we were meeting up in the town of Godmanchester, as I had seen the name on a road sign and wondered what it would be like. The plan was to meet there at half ten, which meant being on the rad by quarter past eight to be in time.

I have time to have breakfast and get dressed before walking to the car at five to eight. It was a dull kind of day, but bright, but there was supposed to be rain later and no chance of sunshine. But with the roads fairly clear, it was going to be a good drive.

And yet, I was down, just tired. This just being the third day I had done the commute to Papworth, it was taking it out of me, especially yesterday with all the traffic. I was thinking of not going on Sunday, just to have a break, but that would change.

Thatched boathouse on River Great Ouse, Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire Down through Bungay, Diss to Bury and then onto the A14, I made good time, but it was still ten when I turned off the main road towards Papworth, then taking toe first road of the roundabout to Godmanchester. It was a ten minute drive down the road, and turned out it was a fine old town, and I even found a parking place beside the flood meadow.

Two hundred and eighty And then I wait. I get a text from Jools, she is late. So, I settle down to listen to Danny Baker on the radio, and is a riot, especially the story that ended with the punchline: “after the cake incident, Benny Hill carried me over his shoulder to the first aid truck”.

A walk round Godmanchester To my surprise, Jools pulled up beside me and then found a spot just along the road. We meet up and hug. Now, what to do? We go for a wander, looking at the fabulous Council Offices building beside the Chinese Bridge, then wandering into town to the church, which I snap, then around the town some more before going back to the flood meadows to sit and talk.

A walk round Godmanchester Then come midday, we are hungry, so go to the pub opposite, but they don’t do food. But recommended a place down the road called The Exhibition. We both drove there, and they did indeed do food. I have fish and chips and Jools has fish cakes., it was rather good, especially with no washing up.

A walk round Godmanchester We then go to the hospital, have a coffee in the restaurant, then walk into the town to get Mum a paper. Papworth Everard is a very odd place, all new build houses next to the hospital, then further along a huge car park beside the fire station, which is only big enough for one engine, then a couple of shops in the bottom of a modern brick building Anyway, they had a paper, so we were able to walk back to the hospital, and by then visiting hours had started. Now she is on a ward, I can only visit in certain hours.

A walk round Godmanchester Turns out Mum has fallen on her feet again, with a bed in the private, a room of her own, with TV, phone and fan. But there is no one to talk to. At least she is more with it today, but still forgetful sometimes, and so what was said here about lifestyle choices will have to be repeated.

A walk round Godmanchester She has more tubes removed, then a blood test, and the big news is that she should be transferred to James Paget on Monday, which will save the five hour drives to the other side of Cambridge.

A walk round Godmanchester But nearly two hours have passed, and Jools has to drive to St Maggies, and I have to get back to Oulton, so we bid her farewell, walk down to the car park and bid each other farewell too.

Jools follows me back onto the main road, and I direct her to the junction she has to take to head south on the motorway, and I continue on my way back to Bury.

And then the rain starts. Not heavy, but heavy enough to make the drive a challenge, and the dark clouds turn early evening into night. And there is just Jazz in Radio 6. Bah!

But I arrive home, having driven across the marshes to St Olaves and then by the Herringfleet road to Oulton. I stop at the butchers for a pork pie for dinner, then at the corner shop for crisps. Arriving back home just after six.

And relax.

I check the interwebs, then have the pie and a bottle of Wobbly, and while Craig Charles spins some soul and funk on the radio, I relax. And then there is more footy on TV, the dreadful Dutch national side who needs to knock 14 goals against Belarus to have a chance of qualification. I don’t believe they can do it, neither dies the Dutch team.

No comments: