Monday 30 October 2017

Sunday 29th October 2017

THe moon is now nearly half full again, and looks down on the Kent downs just before dawn. I should still be in bed, but its the weekend, isn't it? Meaning my mind is going over all the things to do, and then I remember that not only is it Sunday, but the clocks went back last night, so its an hour early. I explain this to the cats, that it feels like it should be breakfast, but its now an hour later.....

I must have dozed off, as I hear Jools getting up, going down the stairs to feel the cats. As its getting light it must be about half six I suppose. I go down and find the coffee is brewing on the cooker. Something about a whole day stretching out in front of us, and nothing planned, heck, I even planned to give the football on the radio a miss later; not only because the games didn't get the juices flowing, but both were on TalkSport.

After checking things online, I retire to the sofa to watch some football recorded from the previous night. Its not exciting, but then as Jools had arrived home from Suffolk at the end the games the afternoon before, I found I had forgotten or missed most of the results and stories. So I watched each game pretty much not knowing what was going to happen next; now if only I could do that every week?

We have breakfast, just dull boring cereal as we had not been to Tesco for either croissants or bacon. Branflakes and more coffee it was then.

And then it was yet more gardening. We have to transplant the spring bulbs from the box beds to the new beds as soon as possible as autumn is getting on and so the tubers would be getting ready for the new season. I dig a trench a foot deep, trying not to cut through the power line leading to the shed, deep enough to put some compost in the trench, then the bulbs, then cover them up. At least the trench in the lower bed was so much easier to dig than the other one, which knackered my back, so this was almost pleasurable, digging through good soil with few roots ready for planting. Meanwhile, Jools digs the bulbs from the box beds, a slow process otherwise it would be easy to spear a tuber with the fork.

I take this time to go to Tesco, we needed milk and bread as well as other stuff, so leaving Jools digging the beds, I drive to Whitfield, and first have to try to hand in a hug bag of out of date drugs Jools found at mum's. So I have to wait in line with those waiting to drop off prescriptions. And so passes half an hour.

Around the store in record time, with some naughty things falling in the trolley, but in an out in an hour, time then to go to see Jen and Sylv in the old folks place, but it has to be said, that even with what has happened these past two weeks, more laughter has been heard there than for many a year. Sorry, but just telling it like it is, or as I sees it.

So, there is what is the regular job of fixing a tablet and/or i phone, although I have no idea about either.

They are sorting out photographs for the funeral; there are to be displays from the three children as well as Jen. Odd as so many of them have Tony's first wife in, or course. That being Jools' Mother of course.

I leave them to it and take Sylv's i phone with me, as I think it could be a job for Jools. Turns out its an issue with their wifi router, as here the phone is fine, just need for someone now to take it back and sort out the router. We have lunch, then go back out into the garden for the final task of planting the bulbs, then mulching the new bed, so worms will do the ob of softening the ground over the winter.

Job done, just in take as the wind has swung round to the north, getting cooler by the minute. I go out in the car for a hunt for manure. We need more for the garden. I drive to River, then up Minnis Lane near to where Nan used to live, I take the road up the down, through the modern houses built on the side of the hill, then through woods until the lane came out in open farmland. Usually there is manue to be had at the riding school along there for a quid a bag, but not this day.

Its not a wasted trip as I call in to see my friend Gary and his wife, Julie. They ply me with tea and bourbon creams, which is always nice. And we make plans for that meal that was last postponed because Julie fell through decking in their back garden and broke her ankle. As you do.

Time is getting on, and getting dark by four. I have dinner to cook back in St Maggies, so make my way back. Jools had just finished planting snowdrop bulbs, and she looked very cold. I make coffee then season the leg of lamb and pop it in to roast. Prep the vegetables, mix the Yorkshire pudding batter, all to a Goth soundtrack on 6 music, which is a delight. Amazing how the music flows so well from The Sister of Mercy to The Mission to The Cure and Echo and the Bunnymen. The Birthday party sounded as scary as they did 25 years ago on Peel late at night.

Three hundred and two I also make a jus, made with the sloe port from last year's fruit, added with the loganberries from the garden. I have to thicken it up with some flour, but it is wonderful on the roast lamb and vegetables once all is cooked. I am a clever bunny. We have the very last bottle of the pink fizz left from my working trips to Belgium. Oh, how we miss those days! The bottles of red wine are running low too. Maybe we should go over for the day before Christmas......

And just like that the weekend is over. Time to tidy the kitchen, wash up and have showers so we are fresh for the new week. Mechanical mayhem from Robot Wars is one at eight, then a few last things t do before time for bed.

No comments: