Thursday 19 October 2017

Wednesday 18th October 2017

I could lie in until, well, whenever I wanted. The alarm clock in the bedroom has batteries that are nearly flat, so once it is light, I try to see what the time is, then try to guess by how much the clock has lost in the 8 hours since I had but it right. The clock said just gone six, meaning it could be any time from then to eight, or even later. But before seven it would be light, or getting light. So, I have no idea.

So I get up and find it is twenty to eight, time for coffee and put the radio on. Some lively banter is called for.

There is the rest of the kitchen to clean up, MUm who no longer cooks to any degree, and certainly does not bake anymore, has five pots of spooks, stirrers, corers and other stuff I have no idea what they are for. Mixed in are some tools that are either good quality plastic of carbon fibre, so keep those and all the rest is put in the bin. Or would have if there was any room, as it is still full of cuddly toys.

Anyway, I am not done yet, I clear the cupboard where the hot water boiler is, but it is covered in pots and pans and old over dishes. They are all gone out too, leaving the best few to use, if needed.

I go to the tip, taking another hour once there, but the traffic through town means it takes two. I kid you not, and next week one of the lanes to Oulton Broad bridge is to be closed southbound for three weeks, it will be a standstill.

It is lunchtime, so I go to Tesco for a roll, some crisps and a twin pack of egg custards. I would not starve.

I then consult the list of people to call, and inform all those I had not yet called of Mum's condition, and a barely concealed plea for them to visit her.

I had told her neighbours they could go, so had decided not to visit her in the afternoon, only to find later that she had no visitors at all until I turned up at half six, after I had spent an afternoon in her garden, deadheading and the usual stuff that needs doing.

I am now convinced that the house is ready for her return, not that she will be too happy with what I have done, but hey.

I leave at six, going to Tesco to pick up a pot of soup for dinner, before driving to the hospital, finding a space and being walking to the ward door at dead on half six. Behind me, people who had been waiting for ages just follow in my wake.

Two hundred and ninety one Mum is the same, she feels drained, but the nurses assure me there is yet more progress. I tell her I am off home in the morning and she should be deluged with visitors with the amount of calls I have made.

I bid her farewell, and she is honest in saying the past four weeks have been hard and more painful than she had ever imagined it would be. So, I had to say that she must remember that when she is tempted to smoke. And with that I am gone, and she will now being looked after by the nurses and other health professionals who will decide when she is to be released and what she needs at home, equipment and carers. Not much else I can do, nor her friends, really.

I am home just gone eight, so I warm up the soup, cut some fresh bread and butter it. I am shattered again.

More footy on the radio again, so I sit in the armchair and listen.

No comments: