Monday 23 October 2017

Sunday 22nd October 2017

I wish I could report that the bad back I had been suffering with was better come Sunday morning. It wasn't, but maybe not quite as bad as I feared. But once up and about, sitting at the dining room table brought on pain that made my eyes water. I abandon the internet and go on the sofa to watch the recording of MOTD, but as we were up late, by now it was half eight, but then we had nothing urgent to be doing.

Halfway through the football, I stop and cook bacon butties, then resume the position on the sofa.

Outside it was warm and sunny, so I decide that I would take me and my back on a walk. Jools said she had much garden work to be done, so I would shuffle along on my own, maybe snapping some wildflowers that might be still open.

I stretch out my sciatic nerve, and that makes things a lot easier.

Another autumnal walk to Windy Ridge I go to the end of the street, then over the fields. Behind me, I could see clouds coming, which would cover the sunlight, so I walk as quick as mu legs would carry me until I got to Fleet House when the sun was covered and the golden light faded, and it got much cooler too. The copse is still pigless, and even the few horses on the downs between here and Kingsdown seemed to be huddled and cold even wearing their blankets.

Another autumnal walk to Windy Ridge I walk to the top of the Dip, snap the scene for its fan club, then turn round to begin the climb to Windy Ridge and the great annual fruitless fungi hunt.

It was now really quite chilly out, but then I was just wearing shorts and a t shirt, so I kept moving, climbing up the slope to the woods, then along the bridleway ankle-deep in golden leaves, seeing just King Alfred's Cakes in one fallen branch.

Another autumnal walk to Windy Ridge I walk back down past the old nursery, now closed of course, not that they would have gotten that much passing business here. We did buy plants from there in the past, when we didn't feel like driving elsewhere. Anyway, I see two fieldfares in the distance, but don't have the lenses to be able to get a good shot of them.

Another autumnal walk to Windy Ridge I get back home at about 11, cold but pain free. A half hour on one of the dining room chairs changed that, I soon had aches and pains returning.

Another autumnal walk to Windy Ridge Of course, time was nearing for the main event of the day; the Old Farm Derby, aka Ipswich v Norwich, at Portaloo Road. It was on TV, but not on free to air channels, so I have to listen to it on the radio, Talksport no less, so have to put up with the ads, the namechecks for Sky Sports and betting odds. But I could hear the game at least. And it was pretty exciting stuff, mostly for supports of the two teams it has to be said. Goaless in the first half, City score the only goal on the hour, and cruise to full time with only the sounds of celebrating supports as the backdrop to the commentary. 8 years unbeaten in the deby games for Norwich now; can we play you every week?

New bed There is then two Prem games too, and with Jools going to Jens to meet with Cath and Mike to discuss the arrangements for the funeral and other stuff, I was left at home to sit on the sofa with Molly nestling beside me, purring away in her sleep.

Two hundred and ninety five Arsenal beat Everton 5-2, and then Spurs thrash Liverpool 4-1 in what was a very enjoyable afternoon of listening to footy.

When Jools comes back there are six Goldfinches feeding off the new feeder visible from the kitchen. The bed is also done, so I go to take a shot of that and the golden light on the houses the other side of the dip.

Another golden evening Dinner is chorizo hash again, because it so good. And we can listen to Desert Island Discs at the same time and slurp pink fizz too. What's not to like?

And round off the day with the new series of Robot Wars too, perfect. And I will start work again in the morning too. So early to bed to be fresh for that bulging in box on the morrow.

4 comments:

nztony said...

My I be the chairman of the fan club, failing that could I be on the organising committee?

jelltex said...

Of what, Robot Wars?

nztony said...

Your words: "I walk to the top of the Dip, snap the scene for its fan club,"
I'd make a great chairman, I'd make you proud.

jelltex said...

Oh, I see. Yes, you can be president. Or chairman. Not which is higher. Depends on the chair I suppose.