Thursday 19 October 2017

Sunday 15th October 2017

Sunday dawns, we have no idea what the day will bring. Wherever I will end up in the evening depends how Jen has recovered after the shock of Saturday.

There is coffee, there is MOTD and there is bacon. To all intents and purposes, a normal Sunday. After clearing up, I help Jools in the garden until half ten, at which point we both have a shower, then drive to Whitfield to see the remainder of the old folks.

Jen had talked until half five, at which point the whisky and vodka finally kicked in, and slept for four hours; poor Cath had just an hour and looked grey and tired when we arrived.

Jen is fine, however. She has accepted what had happened, and as the day went on chased both Jools and Cath out, leaving her to the house with her Mother. She is still upset, obviously, and as each of the neighbours come in after finding out, the tears begin again. But Jen is made of strong stuff, and is a marvel really.

I volunteer to feed the chickens, and so treat them to lettuce and sweetcorn, the sight of which has them so excited.

Cath goes home to grab some sleep, and once more of Jen’s neighbours drop round, Jools and I go home to have lunch and for me to prepare to drive back to Suffolk. Still no news of a transfer for Mum, so with things having settled down with Jen and Jools being OK, I say I will go up for three more days. But this will be the last days of my sojourn in Suffolk.

After loading the car, I set off at one, dropping Jools off at Jen’s, and then driving out along the Alkham Valley to the start of the motorway.

Although it is much further driving from Dover to Papworth, if the roads allow it can be done in about two hours, the same as the shorter run from Lowestoft. Just depends on the traffic.

Two hundred and eight eight And after some slow traffic at the tunnel, along the M25 and up the M11 through Harlow and past Stanstead to Cambridge was an easy run, arriving at the hospital at quarter past four.

Mum is bored. Very bored. I have little news other than the flesh out the details of what happened to Tony and how everyone was. I leave again at five fifteen as dinner was about to be served.

An easy cruise down the A14, and then up the 143, with darkness falling, I have a clear run, driving at the speed limit and getting back just after seven, but it being dark means that I can’t see the numbers on the key safe, so have to ask Madge next door to borrow a torch to be able to let myself in the house.

I had bought a small lasagne when I filled up the car, so warmed that up and some garlic bread as well as raiding what is left of mum’s wine cellar. And as I had emptied to its current state, it seems fair to me to complete the job, there being on last 2007 vintage bottle. I mean if it is left any longer it might become undrinkable, and wouldn’t that be bad?

I call home, then listen to the radio, surf the net and finish the wine, trying to stay awake until MOTD and the day’s football. Not sure much of it made much sense, but hey.

No comments: