Tuesday 31 October 2017

Tuesday 31st October 2017

All Hallows Eve.

A blog a little bit early as tomorrow is Tony's funeral, so we will be attending that and the wake all day tomorrow.

And then there is more, much more to write about Mum.

But being a work day, like yesterday, up with dawn breaking, and the sun setting the bottom of the clouds on fire. The cats fed and coffee made with barely a word spoken, as is the way now as we both have our routines. And this morning I have to be working by nine as I have a meeting to prepare for at eight, and better know my onions.

Jools is ready to go at ten to seven, and I am making the second pot of coffee and pouring bran flakes into a bowl. And by the time I am ready to work at quarter past seven, it is light outside and the sun already up and shining brightly. I am dressed, still have half a cup of coffee, and ready to go.

And preparation is everything, making points, taking notes.

That done, it seems I am ready for breakfast but make do with an orange, but its only delaying the inevitable for an hour at most. Calls made, mails written and notes typed up. I'm on a roll.

Lunch is taken on the hoof, whilst making shepherd's pie for dinner. We have no mincer, so I cup up the left over lamb as mall as I can, fry some onions until soft, then add the lamb and loganberry sauce; our into a tin, then topped with cheesy mashed potato, and all ready for putting into the oven at about half five.

Lunch is cold Yorkshire puddings, which are far better than they should be.

And after lunch I call the hospital: Mum is in a poor way. It seems her sternum is not healing at Papworth are concerned enough to suggest that she might be transferred back there in the next few days. She is still on antibiotics, but I was told that Mum did not have blood poisoning, but has a serious infection still.

I speak to Mum and she is very down, saying she does not know how long she can put u with the treatment. I think the issue is that at the moment there is no end in sight, and if she goes back to Papworth it will be many weeks before there is any chance of her leaving either hospital. I try to say the right things, think of something you are really looking forward to do when you get out, and focus on that, but really these are just words.

I don't know, we shall see how things go these next few days. I will go up on Saturday I think, and see what the situation is then. But if she goes back to papworth, then I will have to stay up in Suffolk once again.

Three hundred and four I have a few loose ends to tie up before the end of the day, but my heart really isn't it it once again, thinking about Mum and her condition. I suppose it is the fact that Mum had not been told anything of her condition either, and the fact ths one senior nurse was prepared to tell us both the situation was welcome, but frustrating that this had not been done previously.

The shepherd's pie was a triumph, of course, and something to make again. Football this evening, on the radio. And writing. Always the writing.

No comments: