Wednesday 14 March 2018

Tuesday 13th March 2018

Tuesday in Aarhus, and it is getting light already at half six. Half five UK time.The fog had gone but everywhere was frosty white.

I had a day of training ahead of me, quality training, training that was the only reason I was here in Denmark. Let us hope it would be worth it.

To my surprise I am up and dressed and heading down to breakfast by seven, finding one remaining table with four empty chairs, I have cereal and yoghurt and a coffee. That done, I am set for the day, and anyway there is a good chance there will be food on the course too.

Traffic on the ring road wasn't too bad, I arrive at the office by half seven giving me an hour to catch up on work, until my boss wants a meeting. So there went the chance to catch up with work. I am aware I am overly negative, but then I see no point in lying. So, I tell it like it is. Or how I see it. There is even a promise of something being done.

Which would be nice.

15 of us should have turned up for the course, 5 turn up. It is a course on advance quality. Which sounds good, but I know the day is going to be a struggle, I am clockwatching and its only been going 10 minutes. There is coffee, there is fruit, there is two litres of smoothie. We make the latter disappear, but the coffee tastes like it has been brewing for months, is stewed and very bitter.

The morning drags on, and my eyes grow heavy. I plead for a break, then use it to check on mails and make calls. So by the time the course restarts my eyes begin to droop again.

The afternoon continues in much the same fashion, with me battling sleep and not really listening to what has been said. So by half three or so, it finally finishes with John asking if there were any questions. Not from me, Bud.

Seventy two I answer the urgent mails, catch up with people in the office and before you know it, its quarter past five, traffic has slowed to a trickle outside, so it was OK to go back to the hotel.

I have an hour to listen to the radio, do some work before my table was ready. I wasn't going to have burger, fries and a beer. Again. But I don't even have to look at the menu, nor contemplate the day's special: baked cod. As with everything in the hotel, not spectacular, but does the job.

And I can get back to my room in time to watch the Man Utd game on TV, which was a stinker. I stay with it and was rewarded when Sevilla score twice in the last ten minutes. Not so special now, eh, Jose? So I go to bed chuckling, and in the morning, in seven hours, I begin the long trip home.

Yay.

No comments: