Friday 23 March 2018

Tuesday 20th March 2018

I was woken up by Scully landing on my feet after Jools had fed her. I had not heard the alarm or herd Jools get up. I must have need the extra 20 minutes. It was five in the morning, and light was showing on the horizon, it was still mighty cold, as the heating was yet to switch on, but spring would return later that day and temperatures nearly in double figures. But by then I would be in the air and flying to Denmark.

I get dressed, finish packing, feed the birds and wash up, all ready to go by quarter to six.

It is nearly light when Jools drops me off, I get the ticket from the machine on the platform, then stand in a steady drizzle as the grey clouds let go of their moisture.

I think about going to stand under the short roof, but decide against it as I only have 5 minutes to wait. So it rains harder. Darn it.

Seventy nine The train arrives, as do the passengers who had been waiting in their cars, we get on and slip into our seats, quickly warming up as the heating was on full, or so it seemed. It is your typical commute, lots of people getting on, drinking coffee and chatting to friends or looking at their phones or tablets.

At Stratford I stop for breakfast, just the usual, and I can read more of the orchid book as I eat and drink. I am in a good mood.

I join those walking to the DLR, get on a train just before it leaves, which then fills up at Stratford: I stand for a change, looking out of the window as we pass the usual landmarks.

It seems I am timing my arrival at LCY perfectly, as again there was no queue to drop my bag off, and upstairs just delayed by ten minutes going through security. I find a quiet place to sit which had a good view of the departure board, and get out the orchid book and read more.

London City Airport I find I am sitting at the right gate, so no rush for me, and I find that the plane is just under half full; 14 of us, so we can sit where we want, two seats each if we want. I keep good old 8A of course, just in case I can take some shots.

London City Airport We taxi and as soon as we straighten up, the engines roar and off we go, leaping into the air and straight into low cloud. Of course, if you go high enough, in time you will see blue sky and sunshine. We turn north east and are on our way. I continue to read, then have juice and breakfast, read some more. I look up finding that the clouds have ended, and the Frisian Islands are clear below us. I take photographs.

Texel Denmark is sunny too, and once we have landed and I get my case, car key and outside the terminal, I find it pretty warm too. But not 14 degrees as the car’s dashboard readout claimed. I have a Mercedes A class, not the best of cars, but pretty darn good, and has plenty of horses under the bonnet. I roar off.

Holland is brown The countryside is yet to wake up here, but I see 6 buzzards on the way, some flying, but an almost pure white one landing on the verge as I go by. An amazing site, just wish I could have got a shot of two. But you’ll have to take my word for it.

Rømø I drive to the office, and arrive in time to take part in the bi-weekly meeting. It is my turn to speak as I walk through the door, all are amazed. But then I am quality.

Esbjerg I work to five, then drive to the hotel, the Scandic along the ring road. Not the best, but easy to get too, and a blast along the O2, trying to get through all the traffic lights before they turn red.

Ribe As I missed lunch, I eat early, and I have no worries about ordering burger and fries along with the onion soup as a starter. It is satisfying I have to say. I read more of the orchid book, and have a head full of plans to visit many of these places mentioned in the book. We shall see. I am full of good ideas, usually very expensive ones.

No football on TV this week, as it is an international weekend coming up, so I listen to the radio before turning in at half nine.

Phew.

No comments: