Thursday 15 March 2018

Wednesday 14th March 2018

After what seemed like too short a stay in Denmark, it was time to pack and go home.

I had chosen to drive from Aarhus to Billund that morning, therefore at the risk of fog, snow or worse driving conditions. But now having tried both the Zleep and Prepellen at Billund, neither were that good or comfortable. And getting up at five to drive to the airport isn't that bad, especially as by the time I had packed, dressed and checked out, dawn was already showing in the south east, meaning the drive would not be too bad.

Seventy three Only it would have been OK had it not been for the allergy attack that started almost as soon as I got in the car. I sniffled and sneezed my way out of the city to the start of the motorway, then once on the main carriageway, made my way through two sets of roadworks as the motorway is being increased from four to six lanes, then down to the turn off to Billund.

From there across country, some 46 km to the airport. Along fairly straight roads, and most of us all heading to the airport.

It is frosty at the airport, so a brisk walk from the lot to the terminal, checked in, but seeing the queue for security, opt for breakfast before I went through to departures. For some reason, Nutella has been unavailable at either of the hotels I had been staying in for a few months, but at the airport they had it. So a Nutella roll and a big coffee and I am set, feeling almost awake.

I wait in the short line through security, then up to a table to do some work. I spy a colleague working on a nearby table, so I send him e mails until he looks up and sees me. He is off to London for a meeting, but we have a chance to talk before boarding.

BA 8209 I was going to read through the flight, but before we take off I am sleeping, cradling my book as a snore gently away.

I wake up as we are on hold somewhere off the Essex coast, so I get my camera for the final approach as I now from the pilot's update on weather conditions, with the wind in the east we would land from the west with a flyover pass of Central London.

Southend on Sea We pass off the coast of Southend before crossing the Thames, passing over Ebbsfleet and Bluewater before skirting the south London suburbs and making for Crystal Palace.

Over the London Gateway freight terminal where Jools and I visited some 15 months back on that railtour, the containers laid out like some giant game of Jenga.

London Gateway Due to a cock up on my part, I am on the starboard side, but on the plus side I might get that perfect shot down the Shard as we do the turn onto final.

Ebbsfleet Before then I try to make out where we are flying over and get shots if I saw something interesting.

Southeastenders Loughborough Junction I remember from a couple of railtours we did, and then the Elephant and Castle with traffic jammed up, as usual.

Loughborough Junction We didn't quite turn over The Shard, but a little to the north, so I snap it with the New London Bridge station laid out beneath it.

Elephant and Castle I have little time to take each shot as the city passes quickly by below; over the Dome and then past Canary Wharf, and down on the ground, crabbing in the strong side winds, causing a couple of passengers to gasp when the plane swung round onto the runway.

London Bridge I already realised I wasn't going to make the earlier train to Dover; so I chilled out letting the other passengers out first, waving goodbye to my colleagues, then the short walk, for a change, to immigration. My case was waiting, so onto the platform, a 5 minute wait, then squeeze onto a near full train to Stratford.

I miss the earlier train by 5 minutes, so go to the cafe and have a paninni and a coffee, and pass the time reading the orchid book. It is so good I read it on the platform and once the train slides in, on that too, choosing not to look out of the window, just glancing up to check the train's progress. The hour's journey has never passed by so quickly as that one spent in the orchid fields as described in Jon's book.

I get a taxi home, but before going in, check the garden for new growth and to see how the Imperialis have progressed and how many there were; 14 I counted, and in the warm sunshine, their sent filled the air, and hungry birds chirped their anger at me being in the way when they had seeds to eat.

Day of the Triffids I go indoors, have lunch, and after an hour start to work. Five minutes into a call, and the internet goes off. BT switched our access off at the box at the end of the road. I wouldn't mind, but our provider is Sky. There is nothing to do but wait, so I make a brew and catch up on the weekend's football.

No internet until nearly 6, by which time I was making dinner; boiled chicken with bacon and rice. Lovely.

Both of us were tired, me from travel and the early start; Jools has caught a cold and isn't sleeping too well either. So much so she goes to bed at eight, and is soon sleeping. I listen to the radio, Chelsea at Barca, and it was as predictable as feared, with Barca winning 3-0, rarely getting out of 2nd gear. Chelski were unlucky said Conte. He was wrong.

No comments: