Monday 23 July 2018

Sunday 22nd July 2018

I woke up just before eight, an amazingly late time for me. Jools had been up for two hours working in the garden and generally being quiet.

She declared it was too hot for anything, I went out onto the patio, and had to agree. Certainly already too hot to climb up Temple Ewell Down to look for Silver Spotted Skipper and other butterflies. Let's be honest, they'll be there next week. So, that and a stomp though Barham were scrubbed, so the main task then was to avoid direct sunlight, and me get a haircut.

We have coffee, another coffee and croissants, and by then it was gone ten, so time to pop over into Folkestone, with me thinking we had missed the air festival, but as we were to find out, it spread out over two days, and was going to be busy as heck. But into the town centre, we find a parking space, although down by the harbour there were plenty of men with sandals and socks on, milling about to see the first of the air displays.

I have nothing against such things, but I saw enough aircraft in my 15 years in the RAF meaning I am not going to stand on the promenade in 30 degree heat for six hours to see the Sparrow (Red Arrows).

I make my way from the car park, up the top of the old HIgh Street to find there was no one waiting, so I could get in the chair right away. I asked blokey to cut as much off as last time, then 50% more; don't be frightened, it grows back.

Two hundred and two So he gets the shears out and I am several pounds lighter, or so it feels.

Ten quid well spent.

And after deciding we were not going to go for a walk down by the harbour, we walk back to the car and get out of town.

We cruise back home up the A20, arriving home just after eleven, time then to get the cheese and tomatoes out of the oven for caprese for lunch.

Not too clever, as only wine goes with caprese, but after slicing the tomatoes, then the cheese, grind salt and pepper of them bth, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and that was that. Slice some bread, pour the wine, and we're set to eat.

The afternoon was just about unbearable. We do some work in the garden, but it is too much, so we settle down with a bowl of fresh raspberries and gooseberries and a brew, and that seems much better.

We water the garden in the early evening, I make chorizo hash, we open a bottle of pink fizz, and again toast our good fortune.

No comments: