Friday 27 July 2018

Thursday 26th July 2018

It's getting hotter.....

It seems impossible, but it is. And tomorrow they're calling it "furnace Friday", but more of that in another post.

I wake up, and there is no hint of sunshine, and for a minute I think there might be cloud, thus keeping the temperature down. But a look out the back of the house reveals a pink sky, pink just before the sun rises. Its gonna be another scorcher.

It is a day when only the one cup of coffee is needed, early on to kick the bran cells into action, after that, just too hot. I will survive on iced squash.

Jools is all ready at half six to go to work, and the cats have already skedaddled, with Molly not even coming in for breakfast, just walked up the garden and through the car port en route to her dark and cool hiding place.

I have breakfast and so am ready for work, because with my boss and his boss away, I am therefore, the boss. A scary thought, and I have to chair a meeting, making important sounding pronouncements.

Even walking to the back door to look at the scrubland that counts for our lawn makes me hot and sweaty. This is madness.

I have first of three pints of iced squash, an early lunch of leftover aubergines and pasta, then get ready for the next meeting.

Such is the life of an international playboy and quality export.

Two hundred and six By two in the afternoon, it is too hot too move. I am on the sofa, watching Le Tour, but the laptop on my lap is like a little over, the cooling fan heating my legs. I switch it off soon after, I think I am on course to finish my tasks this week.

So I watch and try not to move as the cyclists sweat their way through farmland and attractive villages. I have more iced squash, and am just about cool enough.

Jools brings home KFC for dinner, which we eat outside, al fresco. Which is nice.

It does cool off some, but it too hot still to go for a walk, so I water the garden whilst we're able to, so that the riot of colour we have created will go on.

And that is it, other than as we sat on the patio, a blood red near full moon rose to the south, tomorrow it will rise full in eclipse, if there are no storm clouds, we will go to the cliffs to watch.

No comments: