Tuesday 19 January 2021

Monday 18th January 2021

It is incredible how the incredible has become normal.

Two years ago next week, Megan passed away. I was looking through my picture of the day yesterday, and it is impossible to think how we ever came to suffer those dark days.

But we did.

On the Saturday, we emptied her flat, Monday we went back to work. Otherwise, well, what elese would we do?

Mum died, Bet died last year, two million have died around the world from COVID, and life goes on. Music is played, on the radio, and football is played.

What else can we do?

As I have said, as the world has turned to shit, and our basic freedoms of travel and assembly have been curtailed. We understand why.

I no longer travel for work, my colleagues no longer go into the office, pubs, bars and restaurants are closed all over Europe.

And yet, for Jools and ourselves, life is pretty good. We have jobs, for the time being, our wages are being paid, and we save. Shops have pretty much what we want for now, and on radio or TV, there is stuff we like to watch.

And yet more people have died in the UK that live in my hometown, like both Lowestoft and Dover being wiped from the map. The people, the country just accepts it, and the excuses.

But life goes on.

It is Monday, Jools is back to work after her three day weekend, and I have the usual early morning meeting, where I update my colleagues on Brexit. They think I am making shit up. I am not, the Government is thinking of charging truckers £50 an hour for parking at their document processing facilities. Fifty quid. An hour.

I tell them too of the food shortages, and that it will get worse.

Not only do we have VOVID, Brexit, there is the uncertainty of the merger and whether I, or any of us, will have a job after February 1st. Still no news.

The sunshine of the previous day was long gone, instead it rained hard, at least when it was dark Jools puts waterproofs on and walks to Windy Ridge with a torch. I don't, I hope it will get out later. I'll go out for a walk tell myself.

Yeah, right.

There is a podcast to listen to as I have my second coffee, and dawn begins to show in the south east. Jools returns, bustles about, and is gone. I have made her a fruit tea to drink as she drives. And I set up my laptop, log in and check mails.

Eighteen Nothing important. And no news.

So on it goes, and might well into next month. We are told to do nothing to plan beyond that, so I don't.

Instead, I have breakfast, and a third coffee as clearly I'm not vibrating at a high enough frequency as yet.

The morning inches by. I recieve calls: do I know anything, have I heard any gossip? No and no.

Oh well.

At lunchtime, I make a cheese toastie, as since I began to make my won bread, this shop bought stuff is stodgy shit. The only way to make to edible is to toast it.

Hellebore Cheese and ham toastie. And a brew.

The day creeps onwards. Rain stops falling, clouds lift.

Too cold to go out for a walk, but I do go out to fill up the bird feeders, take a snap of the hellebores. And once back in the house find a tran cab ride video to watch while I monitor the company e mails.

The afternoon passes, the evening comes. I put on the radio and feed the cats and prepare dinner: line caight salmon, sweet chilli stir fry and noodles.

It was rather special and yummy, as you can imagine, and was full of vegetable goodness.

And Jools had come home via Marks and Spencer so had chocolate. So after clearing up and washing the dishes, we have a coffee and a chocolate bar, while I get ready to watch the football, Arse v The Toon. Close in the first half, one way traffic in the second, I go to bed with the score at 2-0 to Arse.

No comments: