Friday 15 January 2021

Thursday 14th January 2021

And so, to work.

I should have been in Hartlepool this week, leaving on Monday morning and returning on Friday morning, to offer support to a news site for two day and then support an audit on Thursday.

The rampaging COVID put pay to that, and so all travel was cancelled, including mine. Which although meant I would be home this week, I would have to be attached via headphones to my computer pretty much all day.

Which will mean sweaty and sore ears by lunch.

They pay me well and it will wear off, and las time I did this it was for three days straight, and there will be little or no follow up activity for me to do. So, pretty much a win/win situation.

The alarm did go off, meaning that Jools left home on time, though a storm was raging outside, and rain lashed the house from the east. And it was bin day, meaning I would have to go out and put the blue bin, food box and recycle stuff out. I put on shoes, a jumper, coat and hat just for the two return trips up the drive. The cats couldn't work out why the new cat flap wouldn't open as the wind was blowing against it so hard. I was worried Poppy would burst, but after about the 6th attempt, she got through, did her stuff and came back.

Dawn came late, after half seven, revealing the back garden in dreary, drab colours, what was left of the giant oat grass now strewn across the meadow.

I put the kettle on again.

Work began at half seven with the team meeting; no news.

Then an hour later, the audit started, so for five hours I was stuck listening to everyone trying to get ther heads round the fnctions in Teams and overcome their nervousness. I cruised.

Fourteen We break for lunch, then soon after the decide as work had already started, the second half of the audit would be waived, and we were done.

Outside, the rain was falling sideways.

Which was nice.

I had collected the empty bin before it went on a trundle up the street, so no need to go out again.

I make another brew.

Dinner was dirty food: chicken kiev, sweetcorn and chips. Or fried sliced jacket potatoes, as these make the crispiest crisps. And there is beer.

By the time Jools came home, the rain had stopped, but it had been falling heavily for 12 hours straight. The cats were happier, gong in and out.

However, we have a cat problem, in that we no know there is another cat coming in, and we suspect it is that which is spreying, not ours. Twice this week I have had to chase a large Maine Coon first from the drive, then yesterday from beside the back door, waiting for any of our cats to go out, and then to attack it. I head Scully growl, not the one she uses for the kittens, but a wild warecat growl, and I knew there was something up.

I saw the cat in questions, yanked open to the door and chased the startled moggy down the garden throwing plastic trash after it. I hope to catch it in the house and really give it a good fright, if that wasn't bad enough, to make it think twice before returning.

Meanwhile there is wee under the table again, and in the utility room, against the ironing board. At least that can be mopped up. The carpet will have to be cleaned again.

There is football in the evening. And music. And coffee. But no chocolate, as we have eaten it all.

No comments: