Monday 18 January 2021

Sunday 17th January 2021

After what seemed like weeks of mist, fog, rain and endless cloud, there was supposed to be sunshine.

I had an idea about checking out the orchid rosettes, he said, surprising no one.

We get up at then past seven, put the radio on and do the usual stuff. As there was some walking to be done, bacon was required, to oil the parts.

Seventeen You know.

So, I grill the maple syrup coated rashers, and soon you can smell the sweet/savoury combination. I cook six rashers for Jools, then six for me.

The first one We eat them up, right quick.

So, after washing up we load the car with cameras, spare shoes in case it was mussy, and a birthday card for George, which we drop off on the way, parking 50m away lest his witch of a Mother sees us.

Mooching That done we drive back onto the main road, drive out through Lydden, up the hill to the A2, where there is very little traffic.

I drive us to Kingston, turn off, past the Black Robin and onto to the wood we know and love.

Scarlet Elf cup Sarcoscypha austriaca I park on the hard standing, and after grabbing my camera, I walk back to the bridleway, and try to climb through the mud and horse poop. In fact, it wasn't that bad, but I forgot how steep it was, so I stop a couple of times to take shots of something interesting, not to catch my breath. Oh no.

A walk in the woods At the crest of the hill, to the left is where the Early Spiders usually show first, and after some searching, I find a fine, heavily spotted rosette. On the other side I find more, one in sunshine which will do for the shot of the day.

A walk in the woods Down the hill and over the road to walk on the path that runs beside the wood and field, turning off and looking in the deep leaf litter for signs of orchids.

We don't see much, but at the end I find two small spikes poking through, surely two Lady Orchids, quite shy to be out this early!

A walk in the woods I take their picture, and we walk back to the car. And from there, drive back to the A2 and back home.

I mean we could have stayed out, but in these COVID times, would it be wise? Maybe, but others might not be, or think we wise, so back home for a brew, and then to make lunch of lamb samosas and onion bhajis with lots of sweet chilli sauce.

A walk in the woods And beer.

There was gardening to do, just some weeding due to the horse eggs we, or rather Jools, scattered over all the beds. There's always next weekend we say.

Moss side story And there is football.

Sheffiled Utd lost to Spurs, then I lost two hours of my life watching the Liverpool v Man Utd, which when all things considered, was the worse game of the season, by some margin, espeically when you consider the huge amount of talent on display.

Moss I gave up on the Citeh v Palace game for the evening, which ended up at 4-0. To Citeh.

We have supper, I write and post stuff for #wildflowerhour.

And suddenly, it was nine in the evening, and time for bed.

I retire to bed, and finish reading WSC, and am rather taken with going to see Cowdenbeath play, and see the town's wonky high street.

But not now, not yet.

Sometime.

Good night.

No comments: