Sunday 14 July 2019

About turn (2)

Something I missed last week, due to travel and life in general, but the Labour Party is now a (soft) remain party.

At the most basic level the Labour Party should have policies lead by the membership. The membership is something like 66/33% remain/leave. You do the maths.

The leadership, well, the Corbyn Momentum supporting leadership want Brexit, and have tried to lead the party in that direction.

And have finally failed.

Labour will now insist on a public vote, referendum, on whatever the Government/Parliament decides what to do with Brexit (deal or no deal) against remain on the ballot paper. And Labour would campaign for remain.

There you have it.

It has taken three years of fence sitting and failing to state a policy to get here. Call me cynical, but I don't think this is the final position, and I don't trust "Uncle" Jezza to keep his word on anything Brexit-related.

But that's just me. I wish I could trust the opposition, but three years of Brexit cowardice mean I support the LinDems.

Still.

But even now, it is impossible to say what, if there is an election called this week, on what Brexit ticket would the party campaign on? Its OK to say that they would be against any Conservative Brexit, but Labour Remain voters wouldn't support a party that has an official position of a Labour Brexit, or Lexit.

No comments: