Friday 19 July 2019

Thursday 18th July 2019

As I wrote before, BA stopped flights from London City to Billund for the summer holidays, so I had to travel via Heathrow if I wanted to fly direct. And coming back would be the return one I caught on Monday out, meaning not leaving Billund until nearly ten in the evening, and that was if it was on time.

This would mean not arriving in London until gone eleven, and then having to get back home.

Its my own fault, I booked the flights and knew it would be later, but two weeks ago that sounded OK. On the day, not so good.

And then there was the woolly head.

Turns out sharing two bottles of wine, having a glass of Belgian beer than a huge glass of Bruello meant that I was slow in getting up and about. Anyway, there was no way was I going to be in the office for ten hours, then spend eight hour travelling back home. But as it was, eight or ten hours work, then travel still make a long day.

I shower, pack, get dressed and go down to check out.

Then go for breakfast.

I feel that this is the last week I will be in Esbjerg for some time. There's even a chance I might come back here, so I am thanking everyone for being so nice. And the lady on the hotel reception said I was a gentleman. Clearly, she hasn't seen me on the phone swearing when someone breaks bad news.

Still.

I'll take that.

I have breakfast, then drive to the supermarket to buy a selection of cakes to say "thank you" to all at the yard and office here for the help they gave over the past six years.

They say nice things about me too.

Especially when they see me walking up the main entrance arms full of puff pastry cakes and stuff similar.

I share those out then go to my desk, but end up talking about stuff for half an hour. It was nearly nine by then.

Amazing how short the morning seems when you don't start before nine.

I had bought a sandwich for lunch, so carry on working at the desk into the afternoon.

Even allowing for the summer holidays, there was few people in the office. Some went out to do inspections, and I had the whole open plan office to myself.

I stand at the window and see the yard is half empty now. We are over half way through the project, over half the turbines installed, and it sees the end is near. Already people are being laid off as the next project won't go through here.

I had arranged to meet with a friend for dinner, so at quarter to five, I am done. I say goodbye to those that were left, and leave, clocking out for the last time.

It was a short drive to the centre of town, I park near the water tower and walk to Dronning Louise to meet with Steffen. He left our company four years back, and is now a client rep, on good money with a house in the country nearby and a holiday home in Spain.

We have a drink, then eat nachos.

Nachos The day is fading, so I take him back to his country house, where he makes me a coffee while his small boxer dog sniffs my leg and brings me a bone to chew.

Which was nice.

And finally, the the airport.

Back along the familiar road to Billund, drop the car off, then go to check in. Though the airport was busy, most were there to meet friends off flights, so once I had checked my case in, I got through security and fund a table to work at. Though I was so well caught up, there was none to do.

I go to the gate, although there was 40 minutes to wait, but I wait outside the gate, as passengers laden with one or more wheeled carry on bags milled around to try to be first one.

I bide my time.

Once the plane had arrived, spat the incoming passengers off, been tidied, the frequent fliers were allowed on first. I wait, then make my move, scuttle down the steps, and walk past the prole's queue right onto the plane to my seat in 8A, wilst the rest go on. And I had a row to myself, as the flight wasn't full.

Which was very nice.

I even use my Avios points to buy a coke, some chocolate covered pretzels and some iced coffee for the drive later.

To the east, the just past full moon rises red and angry above the clouds. I close my eyes and think about the drive home, hoping its not going to be a difficult as I imagine it will be, with all the roadworks on.

One hundred and ninety nine We land, the B gates were deserted. As was the shuttle train to the main terminal.

Straight through the passport scanners, a 5 minute wait for my case, then out through customs, up the car park and to the car hire office.

Although the paperwork was wrong, I wave my preferred membership card, and he magics a Mercedes A class key, and I am on my way.

Yay.

It is half eleven, and the run home should be OK as rush hour was long finished.

But the road works had begun. There was a slow stretch on the M25, and two stretches on the M20, but I keep going, listening to Radio 2, whilst sipping iced coffee, and letting all of the car's horses get me home.

A pull in at just gone one.

Jools is asleep, so I take the last dram in the bottle and sit on the patio in the bright moonlight, toasting to be home. Phew.

No comments: