Friday 11 November 2022

Thursday 10th November 2022

Time to go home.

Only.

I have to do a day's work on the mainland first.

Now, the original plan had been to spend the night in Southampton, and drive back on Friday, but due to the climate protests blocking the motorway for the first three days of the week, I thought it best to travel back under the cover of darkness once I had finished the audit.

But it was going to be a long day.

How long?

Well, I had to catch the six o'clock ferry from Cowes, so had to be up at half four, out on the road by five.

I set the alarm and tried to sleep.

I did sleep, and the alarm woke up, and a bit of a whirl of action I was packed and with one final check of the room, I left.

I could have gone via the chain ferry, aka the floating bridge, but it is very temperamental, and as I had to catch the ferry, I chose to take the longer trip via Newport, but being silly early, there'd be no traffic.

Indeed, I saw one other car on the way out of Cowes, past the factory and through the centre of Newport, along the only stretch of dual carriageway before turning back north to East Cowes, past Osborne House and back into Cowes, arriving at the terminal to find I was the first passenger.

I went into the termnal to find a cup of coffee, then back to the car as the ferry was pulling in.

We wait and wait, then allowed on, where there was very nearly ten cars on board. Seasoned travellers rushed upstairs to be first in the queue for coffee and/or breakfast. I thought about it, and in the end thought I should have something to eat.

Three hundred and fourteen Two sausage, bacon with beans, mushrooms, three hash browns and a fried slice. I had more than enough.

Thing is, the audit site has no catering, so food might be a problem. It wasn't, but best to be safe.

Anyway, once I had eaten I went onto deck to look at the scene as we neared Southampton and dawn stretched along the southern horizon.

I took shots.

So, once we had docked, we were let off, and onto the main road that runs through the centre of the city, out over the river into the New Forest and along the coast past endless oil refineries, all belching smoke and steam.

At the site of the former power station is where we have a blade paning facility. I sign in and drive down to the portacabins, park up and go to look for a coffee machine.

The auditees arrive and we get cracking.

We do stop for lunch, and much to my surprise there is: subs, bags of crisps, cream cakes, sausage rolls and cans of pop.

Coming after the meal the night before and the big breakfast, I wouldn't need to eat for 24 hours. I don't have a cream cake, that would be too greedy.....

At four we were done, so I say thanks and walk to the car to pack. I have a four hour drive, up to London then round the M25 at rush hour. It would be grim. But there was Steve and Marc on the radio to keep me company, and drown out my swearing at other drivers.

I get home at half eight, a very long day.

I unload the car and go for a shower.

Jools is now COVID free and would go to the office in the morning.

Time for bed......

No comments: