Thursday 24 November 2022

Wednesday 23rd November 2022

Dr Who's birthday.

Jools' birthday.

Anniversary of the announcement here in the UK of JFK's death.

All on the same day in the same year!

But it was also Wednesday, and a work day.

Even for Jools.

Due to the return of her cough and Mulder, she had slept badly for two nights, so no swimming was planned.

We tried to lay in, but we awake at half five.

Happy Birthday.

Jools took loads of party food for the office to feast on, I looked in the fridge and saw very little other than potatoes and eggs.

I searched the internet for potato recipes and came up with tatty scones. Clearly, they needed sausages to go with them. I set about defrosting some.

I did do some work, not much if I'm honest, but enough to look busy if the cats, who are clearly in charge round here.

At ten, I boiled some cubed potatoes, and once cooked added salt, baking powder, flour and butter. Shaped into a flat disc, quartered and then fried in butter.

Three hundred and twenty seven I cooked to bangers at the same time.

First time I have either eaten or cooked tatty scones; and the verdict? OK.

Back to work for an important meeting, well they all are, and watch Germany somehow lose to Japan in the World Cup. Football at ten in the morning seems very strange. And then through the day there is a gap of aout an hour before a new game kicks off.

All the way to nine in the evening.

But I had a proper dinner to prepare: Cote De Boeuf.

Jools prefers to have it griddled rather than done in the oven on low and for hours until tender. So, I find a recipe, season it and let it get to room temperature.

I had zapped the potatoes all ready for slicing and frying to make chips.

And then her brother, Mike, came round.

I heard myself asking if he wanted to stay for dinner.

He did.

I thought there'd be enough steak.

Anyway, we talked as I got cooking, the steak fried two minutes each side, then popped into a hot oven for 17 minutes. Meanwhile I heated up some peas and sweetcorn and finally fried the spuds.

Joos came back from work, we opened a bottle of fizz, and I dished up, having sliced the steak. There was enough.

Mike had brought a small carrot cake, so we had coffee and ate a slice of that each.

We were full, had we shared the steak between us we might have gone POP.

And that was it, more football in the evening, whilst listening to music.

And bed at nine.

No comments: