Friday 26 February 2016

Friday 26th February 2016

Pay day

The day before the weekend, but first, a revisit to yesterday.

Thursday

Another glorious late winter morning, dawn was already well under way by the time I got up at twenty past six; it seems only a couple of days ago when ther ewould still be an hour of darkness at this time of the day. But the year rushes forward unstoppable. I had slept through the alarm, and Jools brought me a cup of fresh coffee to me. How wonderful she is. Should I get up? Yes should, dawn was creeping through the gaps in the curtains, and I could hear a cat playing on the stairs; welcome to Chez Jelltex.

As I walked down the stairs wrapped in my dressing gown, Jools drove off to work, leaving me alone with the cats. But they having been fed, they all returned to their chosen sleeping places to sleep the food off all morning. Well, apart from Molly who now loves the cushion on the seat where I sit for meals, and usually work from, but I now have to use Jools' seat, whilst Molly washes whilst purring before falling asleep.

This is my day now. I put out the bins, make another brew, have breakfast and find myself ready to begin work at half seven, with the first, and only, meeting of the day at eight.

That done, and my boss happy with progress, I arrange travel for two weeks time, and almost as soon as I got confirmation back, I receive notice that the meeting the trip was based around had been postponed for a week. It is too much of a pain to cancel the trip, so I will do it any try to arrange other stuff instead. Such is life. But then again, worse things happen at sea. Apparently.

There are still the chilli seed rolls left for my lunch; I toast them then coat them with Aredenes pate, which was another minor triumph. I check my mails on a regular basis, not much happening, but I am available. The radio burbles away still, music, comedy shows. The usual mix.

At just before three, the delivery man drops the aquatic plants I ordered, so I switch the computer off, and go to play in the cold pond water. I thought the pack would contain all that was needed, but it seems that the soil was missing, so I do the best I can, put plants in the water as they were, the rest i hoped would last until the next day when I hoped I would either have the aquatic soil or some gravel to fill the pots when the plants were potted out.

The day was fading, but it had been another one of those good days; a splendid day at work, the plants arrived and half in the ponds. And it was Friday the next day. What could be better? Well, steak and ale pie, steamed veggies and roast potatoes; that's what! Always tricky to get dinner ready for when JOols comes home, especially with the crazy traffic we have been having. But just gone six, Jools came home. A few minutes later, dinner was ready.

Being a Thursday there was TOTP from 1981 on TV; PiL, Kim Wilde, Lynnx, Graham Bonnet, Bucks Fizz, and at number 1, Shakin' Stevens. Such was pop life in early 80s Britain.

We watch the latest X Files episodes; the Lizard Man one I saw half of in Denmark three weeks ago. It has been the best one in this run; made with a light touch, humour and not taking itself very seriously.

No comments: