Thursday 18 February 2016

Thursday 18th February 2016

Wednesday

It is funny, that how after a long period of business, work just drops off and you sit staring at your inbox wondering where all the mails went. I am sure in months to come I will long for another day like this, but for now, just revel in how quiet it is. Yes, still holiday time in Denmark, all is quiet, just a few mails floating around, nothing major to deal with. So, I make myself a strong cup of coffee, sit down at the table to find that the i player has failed, so no Radcliffe and Maconie show for me that day. I make do with the Sean Keavney show, not as good, and Dr Brian Cox did not seem to show up either.

The final part of the travel expenses chore is to stuff the large envelope with the smaller envelopes which in turn were stuffed with travel receipts and the claim forms. At half nine I take a walk down the hill and up the other side to the post office to send it on its way to Warrington. You have to do this now as post is charged not just by weight, but by size and thickness too. Just under three quid to send the paperwork, but its done,a nd I have just one receipt on my card now. I walk to the village shop, looking for something to put in a sandwich: I buy some ham and cooked crispy bacon. Its the darned Danes have me hooked on crispy streaky bacon I tell you. I was going to buy a cake or something, to have as a fine mid-afternoon snack, but nothing really grabbed me, so I passed on that, paid for the purchases and set off for home.

Its another fine day, but due to cloud over by mid afternoon. The cool breeze is still there, but climbing Station Road gets my blood pumping and it feels warm. Alongside the pavement crocuses are out and other spring bulbs are not far behind. I hope the sunshine keeps them warm.

Once home I make lunch, ham and bacon butties and a huge brew. Lovely. Still on the chair beside my computer is the cushion Jools' Dad sat on when they came over for dinner nearly two weeks back, Molly has taken to sitting on it when I work. Only Mulder now has eyes for it too, so the cats are playing budge, and whoever is first on sleeps while the other looks on with green eyes. So, I work away with the radio burbling and one of the cats beside me, sleeping away, quietly half purring half snoring.

Its good to be a cat.

we have the warmed up paprika pasta thing for dinner, which tastes even better on the 2nd day. Will make that again at some point I think.

That night we watch a documentary on the renaissance, which is presented by Waldemar Januszczak, who did the program on the dark ages. And Gothic art, and is so darned enthusiastic about, well, everything.

No comments: