Saturday 13 February 2016

Saturday 13th February 2016

Friday

I have been known to complain about the amount of traveling that I do. Some weeks, by the time the weekend rolls round, I am shattered, and it is that rather than the traveling I don't like. Saying that, this week, four days at home and a day trip to Brussels, even if it meant traveling most of the way to London before picking up my train to Belgium. Even more frustrating is that we live about 5 miles from where the tunnel passes beneath Shakespeare Cliff, so to have to travel up to Ebssfleet just to travel all the way back en route is frustrating, but then to have to do the same thing in reverse is plain silly. But there were services stopping at Ashford that allowed me to see the end of the meeting.

Dawn Saying that, the thought of a nice day working from home did fill me joy; less so as I watched my mail inbox fill up during Thursday, which meant that either a later finish on Thursday, or up with the lark on Friday to toss those grenades back over the wall. As ever, the volume of work wasn't quite as bad as feared, and by mid-morning I had caught up, and now it was waiting to see if what I had done was sufficient. I have cheese and beans on toast for a mid-morning brunch, feeling much more human now.

I sat at the table working, Molly slept away on the chair beside me, apparently happy just to be there.

The bright sunrise had given way to low and heavy clouds, and so there seemed little point in going for a walk. I really should have taken the chance, but in fact, my enthusiasm of the morning faded in the afternoon, and with a migraine building, I took to the sofa to close my eyes. I wake up just before four, Denmark seems to have finished for the weekend, as all my colleagues are offline. I fire two last mails off, and I am done too.

I am to cook chorizo hash for dinner, but on her way home Jools is going to Tesco, so I wait to cook as the day fades outside. Once home, Jools puts the shopping away and I get cooking. Soon the house is filled with the smell of cooking paprika. I open a bottle of wine, and soon the meal is ready. We toast each other and congratulate the fact that we both have survived it again.

In the evening, we watch old TOTPs, a compilation of 70s music before our eyes begin to droop. Outside a frost has formed already, better to be tucked up in bed.

No comments: