Friday 5 February 2016

Friday 5th February 2016

Thursday

With another crisis having developed overnight, I had agreed in a late night call to be in work as early as possible, which I why my alarm went off at six, breakfast at half past and I am at the office by seven. There is just a couple of other people in. Sigh. Here we go again, all aboard the Skylark.

I make good progress, things get addressed and meeting have to be attended. The morning passes, time enough to squeeze lunch in in the canteen, catching up on news as we eat.

And then back to the desk to fire of mails, make calls and generally be efficient.

My batteries beginning to go flat about two, and by three, I have had enough. I think that if I don't leave the office now, I'd be stuck here until after the rush hour, so I say to people I'd finish up work at the hotel at the airport. And I make a dash to the car, load my bag and myself and screech off heading back down past the old Vestas building, onto the bypass and then to the motorway. I wish I could say it was a pleasure, at least the sun was shining, but once off the motorway I am driving into the setting sun, with the light reflecting off the road making driving even more difficult.

The motorway was packed, but I got through the usual bottlenecks, and with my stomach telling me it really fancied burger and fries as soon as I could provide them, then that would be just dandy. As I neared the airport I could feel my mouth salivating at the thought of the burger....

Hey, its not quite five, isn't that too early for dinner? I hear you say. Apparently not said my stomach, but I did tell it not to request the double burger with extra cheese and chips option. Which was a wise decision. And the burger was good, leaving me stuffed. I walk over to the hotel, check in after a bus;load of Italian women and their male tour guide. I get a room on the ground floor, all I want to do is lay on the bed listening to the radio and fall asleep. Which as it turned out, is what I do.

I am channel hopping on and off, and at ten I stumble across the first edition of the X Files reboot. I watch twenty minutes, but I need sleep, and anyway, its on back home on Monday. More about that next week, then. I fall asleep to the sound of revving aircraft engines. I am used to it now.

No comments: