Tuesday 15 May 2018

Monday 14th May 2018

First proper working day off, not actually working.

So excited, I can't sleep and so am up at half five.

I am on the sofa watching TV when I see there is a fox in the front garden again. He doesn't notice me, so I get my camera and rattle a few shots off.

Foxy Time for a coffee before getting dressed and Jools takes me to the National Trust place on the White Cliffs, so I could walk back.

A walk back from Dover The plan was to walk back, looking for colonies and lone spikes of Early Spider Orchids, which I had been told could be fond along the cliffs, so with working or being on holiday this time of the year for the past three or for years, this was my chance to find some. Or lots.

A walk back from Dover I walk over the low chalk bank beside the road and see orchids! Easy one.

A walk back from Dover It would be an exaggeration to say there were everywhere, but I saw many spikes as I made my way down to the path, and along the path over looking the Eastern Docks.

A walk back from Dover Most were in the final throws of the season, but there was some more substantial spikes, one with three good flowers on.

One hundred and thirty four I walk on, but see orchids, early spiders, everywhere, along the cliff edge then down on the narrow path to the cliff road. And then on the edge of the cliff road itself, right up to where it turns inland round Langdon Bay.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes I take the steep path across the top of the bay, hoping to see more orchids, but between there and to St Margarets, I saw maybe half a dozen more spikes, but I know that around the NT place I had seen hundreds of spikes.

A walk back from Dover I ambled up Langdon cliff, walking along the edge on orchid patrol. I see a few spikes, but not in the numbers I was expecting.

A walk back from Dover I decide to have a sit down, and it was then I heard voices.

A walk back from Dover Singing voices.

A walk back from Dover Female singing voices.

A walk back from Dover Singing "There'll be Bluebirds Over, the White Cliffs of Dover". Was I going mad?

No, I stand up and see about 8 young ladies in RAF best blues, singing away, whilst a bloke with a steady cam films them, and behind a bush a sound man and someone else was having a right laugh.

I watch as they do the worse salute I have seen, but their voices were OK.

A walk back from Dover I walk on. Later, I find out that it is a group of singers called the D Day Babes, and had taken part on BGT last year, not that I would know.

Anyway, past the lighthouse and across the green, through the herd of Dexter cattle, into the village past all the expensive houses, and those that look like cheap council houses.

My target was the surgery, as I had some pills to pick up, which as it turned out wasn't ready. COme back tomorrow.

So I walk back home, pas the pond and the Red Lion, down the hill and back u the other side, arriving home, thirsty and hungry.

And then the phone rang.

It was Tony from NZ, quite a shock, but a pleasant one. We talk for half an hour, catching up and as always he made me laugh. Always a good thing.

He rings off, so I could have breakfast. I mean I wasn't fading away or anything. But toast and a huge tea was very welcome, and then I could think about the rest of the day.

I watch the rest of the football, have lunch, do some work in the garden, read a little.

And in this way the afternoon evaporates quite easily.

I make insalata for dinner. I make in that I slice tomatoes, cheese and butter some bread. It's all about the touches I think.

Jools comes home from a hard day, and I have done, er, not much, but it took all day to do, and that's what time off is about.

And that is that. I have a shower and write, edit shots and listen to the football. And in such a way Monday is done.

1 comment:

nztony said...

Sounds like you have a pretty good day then ;-)