Friday 4 May 2018

Thursday 3rd May 2018

Spring seems to have arrived to stay now. We still get rain sometimes, but mostly the days are getting warmer and longer, everything is growing like crazy. What we have planted in the garden is growing, but slowly for now as they get used to the soil and being out of pots. We just wish they would grow and flower.

Spring in the Jelltex Garden The birds all seem to have mated, the blackbirds especially are busy like mad, collecting beakfulls of worms and seeds, I have been putting two lots of mealworms out each day.

Spring in the Jelltex Garden And the early spring plants are now fading or have gone. The Imperialis have mostly been infected with lily beetle, so some are keeling over looking very sickly. Whilst two at the top of the upper bed seem to producing seeds. Which we try to raise seedlings from. Not that we have much room for any more of the triffids, but it might be fun.

Spring in the Jelltex Garden Each morning, I go round the garden, to see what what is growing or flowering. Gooseberries are forming, apple blossom is out, and we hope that the wisteria might flower this year. Maybe not, but we live in hope.

Spring in the Jelltex Garden I have three and a half hours of meetings to start the working day. I know, so lucky. So armed with a fresh cup of coffee and a plateful of oatcakes, already buttered and smothered in three orange marmalade. I was ready for anything.

Spring in the Jelltex Garden The morning crawled. I mean the minutes dragged and the hours were slothful to say the least. But we were all done at quarter to twelve. Outside the sun was shining, I felt I deserved to sit outside to have lunch. Warmed up aubergine and more leftover pasta salad. I am tempted to have a glass of wine too, but that would be silly, I would sleep through the afternoon.

Spring in the Jelltex Garden Anyway, I have to go out at half two or so, to walk to the doctors to get my blood test results.

Springtime walk to the cliffs and back So back out, armed with two cameras, over the fields, not really stopping to look at much as I had been here just two days before.

Springtime walk to the cliffs and back The slog up the other side of the Dip was as steep as ever. I try to judge whether I'm getting fitter or feeling better, but my glass-like back grumbles, so I need to stop a couple of times to bend forward before sighing loudly and walking up more.

Springtime walk to the cliffs and back In this way I reach the top, and walk along the lane to the top of Otty Bottom, marveling at the fields of rape seeds in the valley leading to Kingsdown. I take a shot, then takke the overgrown path over the downs, and the steady climb to the Monument.

Springtime walk to the cliffs and back I huff and puff some more, and wonder why I am doing it. I mean I could have walked up Station Road and through the village to the surgery, meaning it would have taken half an hour or so, but this was more fun, more flower-filled, and just thrilling to be out under the huge blue skies.

Springtime walk to the cliffs and back I reach the cliffs, meaning to take a rest on the bench near the cliff edge, but a couple were in residence, so I go to take a shot at the overview which gives a glimpse back along the cliffs, and down to the rocks below. Something caught my eye on the ground in front of me.

Springtime walk to the cliffs and back There was four or so, tiny orchids. Three in flower, and nearby half a dozen more. Early Spider Orchids, first time I have seen them here, and yet, they must have been here all the time. The couple watch as I get down to take shots, shots from all angles. I shot most of the flowering spikes.

Early Spider Orchid Ophrys sphegodes This has made me so unbelievably happy, I can't tell you.

I walk back over the meadow to Salisbury Road, down that past the millionaires gaffs, some new builds, with balconies and decking looking over the houses in front to the Channel. These would have cost much more than ours, even if some of the houses are no better. A sea view here has a million pound surcharge, and anyway, getting here through the school traffic would be a nightmare. That's what we tell ourselves.

One hundred and twenty three I arrive at the surgery, half an hour early, and as ever, the heating is on full, so you feel like you're melting, until you get used to the heat.

I am called in. Blood test fine. He goes through all the other stuff in my blood; all is normal. I am normal.

He is pleased, and no weight lecture. But means I am on tablets for the foreseeable future.

From there it is mostly downhill, at least until the final stretch back up Station Road, back to home where the feline welcoming party is in full voice.

And no cooking for me, as Jools will bring home chips. No fish, but battered sausages. Sausage.

For the evening's entertainment, we make cold frames for the remaining seedlings, place a tarp over the top, and then it is gone eight and the day fading. Arsenal are playing in the Europa League, semi final, second leg. ANd need to win or have a high scoring draw.

They lose, 1-0, and so are out. And Wegner has just the 6th place in the league to chace.

1 comment:

nztony said...

Yet another walk I am rather envious reading about and one I know most of it. Every time you go for your walks, it feels like you are walking through history, i.e the Dover Patrol Monument, the White Cliffs of Dover, The English Channel etc, looking over to France etc, when I go for a walk I just see a few pine trees and cars ;-)