Monday 28 May 2018

Monday 28th May 2018

Something like the 18th day off work. And the last.

And as we played cards last night, it was a late start this morning with throbbing heads as the sun streamed in when it should have been cloudy.

The plan had been to drive to the Medway Valley to see the Early marsh, but truth is, could not be bothered to get myself into gear.

I had tomorrow's flight to check in for, bacon to cook for breakfast, and all the other things that is needed to be done. And anyway, I told myself, the roads would be jammed, best relax today, take things easy and go next weekend.

I knew from friend's shots the orchid I wanted to see wasn't yet out yet. So, listen to the radio, Jools sat outside crocheting drinking her first coffee of the day, and I mess around online until I feel that it is breakfast time.

But bacon is the cure all for hangovers and slow starts to the day. And as soon as we have eaten, and cleared up, bang on the dot of half ten, its time to decide what to do. I think I should go to PGD to check on the Musk Orchids.

Fly Orchid Ophrys insectifera Yes, its a tad early for them, but I have found evidence of them at least a week earlier in previous years, so why not?

Fly Orchid Ophrys insectifera Why not indeed.

Jools said it was already too warm to go out, so I drive by myself to Barham, then across the down to the top of the Elham Valley and down before turning off. I meet my old friend, John VdP as he is leaving. We swap news, and he is way, way behind. He takes people round sites at about £50 a pop, I do this for free. But I help him as thats the kind of guy I am.

One hundred and forty seven I take him to where the musk can be found, we look and look, but only find half dozen spikes showing, and no in flower. So a bit of a waste.

Monkey Orchid Orchis simia I go to check on the other orchids on site; Fragrant, CSO, Fly, EPO, Lady, GBO and Monkey. all bar the EPO are looking good. I snap all bar the early urples, and some of the Fly are still impressive. The Monkey is well, mad as ever, most at their peak, but some already showing a violet hue meaning their time too, is coming to an end.

Monkey Orchid Orchis simia But it is hot. Too hot to stay too long, and with there being no Musk out, my job here is done, and I walk back to the car, then drive back torhough Barham to home, in time for lunch of insalata and a bottle if IPA.

Monkey Orchid Orchis simia And from now on it is a battle against time to get chores done before time runs out and it is time for bed.

I write, edit shots and make brews which we have with ice creams.

The day gets ever warmer and more humid. Jools paints the shed again, and I write more. Amazing how much time this takes.

Coventry are promoted from league 2, and I am battling getting tasks done. Dinner is prepared and cooked; mini rack of lamb and the usual vegetables. And somehow the day is fading fast.

I must go no to pack and be ready for the morning.

See you on Friday, after two day's team building and my annual assessment.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

nztony said...

Looking forward to the blog regarding your team building.
Good luck for your assessment.
Fascinating reading about the rare orchid you didn't think you'd find but you did. Now you know I'm not an orchid person myself, but I still understood the feelings and the story and I can appreciate how exciting etc it must have been. Very well done.