Friday 11 May 2018

Thursday 10th May 2018

Bank Holiday (Denmark)

I mention this, as all of my Danish colleagues had taken the day off. Which meant it was going to be quiet all day.

And I had a medical procedure to prepare for.

Friday, I went into hospital for tests, more of that tomorrow, but in order to be ready, I have been on a fibre free diet for the last three days, and on Thursday I was allowed just breakfast, and one of simple food; cheese on toast. And no tea, no coffee, no anything nice. And once I had breakfast. that was it until after the visit.

I had breakfast, savouring the vintage cheddar grilled to within an inch of its life. And I had a coffee. Hell to it, One could not hurt, I thought.

Work was quiet. Two e mails received, and replies sent. Wednesday I caught up with all the work I needed, so for two hours I stayed online in case of emergencies. There were none. I sat on the sofa with the laptop and watched a documentary on the life and work of Leonardo da Vinci. That was good.

I wasn't hungry.

So, I pottered around in the garden; worked on the supports for the fruits, did a lily beetle hunt, pruned, watered and then mowed the bottom half of the garden. The non-meadow half.

One hundred and thirty It looked spanking.

I checked mails at regular intervals, and nothing was happening.

At three, I was done. I set my out of office message, and prepared the first batch of yukky liquid I had to drink in order to cleanse my system. There would be 4 litres of the stuff.

Sounds OK, but the mix is over sweetened, saline, and slightly thickened, a combination which makes it worse than the procedure in the morning. That I could cope with, drinking 4 litres of this foul stuff was much, much worse.

So while watching Time Team I got through the first litre, then in the next hour did the second litre. I could not have an hour or so off.

By this time, Jools had come home, eaten her KFC meal, which I did not find tempting. And as I tried to follow the football, I tried to drink two more litres of mix.

I did one.

I really, really could not face the second, even when I mixed it with orange squash.

It would have to do.

I just hoped my regular visits would stop during the night so I could sleep.

I felt low, cold, but not hungry. I climbed into the bed, shivering, trying to get comfortable so sleep would come.

No comments: