Friday 18 May 2018

Thursday 17th May 2018

With the gales, sorta, on Wednesday afternoon, I arranged to meet up with John and Leoni at the NT White Cliffs place for one last look at the Early Spiders, I mean I had seen hundreds on Monday.

So, another morning with my having limited time. I need to get all the chores done, have breakfast and coffee, but at least the meeting place was only a ten minute drive, if that.

I drive along Reach Road, getting there with ten minutes to spare, and my friends arrived seconds later.

They have nine more weeks in UK, and a detailed, minute by minute plan, for all their time, so this was squeezed in before visits to Dover, Deal and Walmer Castles. And Barfrestone Church. And then drive to Hampshire.

So, time was money.

We went scrambling partway down the cliffs, not the sheer face, but the various grassed levels with paths, and at the edge the ESOs make their home. But to my shock, many had dried out in the four days I had last been there, so what I said would be a feast of orchids was no better than the toffees left on the Quality Street tin.

Oh well.

Anyway, they had seen dozens, so had shots, which they will revue at some point when they get home.

One last request, can I take them so they can get a clear shot of the Castle? I can indeed.

One hundred and thirty six So we go in small convoy to the top car park, then out onto Fox Hill Down, where the wind was whistling from the north, but did have the promised clear views to the castle, church and Pharos.

I take a shot of them, all smiling, probably as they are now going to escape from me, and that was that.

John and Leoni I leave them programming their sat nav, and I think I would go to the old hoverport to check on the orchids there.

It is a short drive, 20 minutes or so, past the hundreds of new houses being built at Whitfield, all packed in so tightly, no matter how nice they look, I have grown used to space around us. From there to Sandwich and onto the hoverport, or former hoverport.

The car park for the cafe had just opened, so parking was no problem, I take my camera and weary legs down the steps onto the wasteland that the site now is. But a wasteland full of nature. Plants everywhere, and on a calmer, sunnier day, there would be butterflies too.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora I know where to look now, first down to see the yellow Man Orchids. Is the plural Men? I think not. ANyway, after some orientation, I find them, growing through long grass and most are at least partially flowering spikes.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora I take shots as they were, then again as the sun came out. They look stunning.

Then I spend an hour looking for Bee rosettes which should be numerous, and out next weekend. But I find just the one, and that wind burnt.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora And I find just one Southern Marsh rosette too. I was feeling down, but then I see something as I am walking back to the car, I am pretty sure what it was. and was right: broomrape.

Broomrape is a parasitic plant, one species generally for different species the family leeches off. I am yet to ID this one, so busy I am with walking woods and orchiding in general.

Man Orchid Orchis anthropophora Time to go home, to have some lunch and rest my weary legs.

I make a sandwich and brew, and go outside to eat whilst reading the new edition of WSC. Just about warm enough to do so as the sun had come out a bit.

And for the afternoon, I had been invited for a cuppa at a moth and all round nature fan, Tony, who lives on the other side of the dip from us, and from our kitchen, I can see the tops of the mature trees in his large garden.

I did cheat, drove over and parked next to the former pub, the Red Lion which is having much work done, but I guess will never reopen again. I find Tony's gate, but once inside and confronted with a maze of gardens and passageways, but I do find his back door, knock and he answers.

He make a pot of tea, and whilst it brews shows me his three gardens, which is incredible, as from the road you would not guess. He has three or four pounds, multiple moth traps, trees, shrubs and too much to describe.

We sit and talk for over an hour about orchids, birds, plants and the village. The sun had come out again, and out of the wind was almost warm.

At four, I bid my farewell, as there was a garden to water, cats to feed and dinner to make. All time consuming stuff, and despite being on holiday, I had less time for writing and editing than normal. How is that possible?

Anyway, Jools comes home, we have something and cous cous and the remaining asparagus. All great. And then the evening, now just two hours as Jools is pooped, as so am I. I manage to finish writing, editing, and go for a shower and then to bed.

Phew.

No comments: