Wednesday 2 May 2018

Tuesday 1st May 2018

Blood test

Return of the sun

May Day (public holiday, DE)

One hundred and twenty one I have to have a blood test this morning, and even though I had a fasting one the other week, this was another one, mainly to see how the pills I am now popping are having an effect. This means that no coffee for me this morning, instead I decide to lay in bed whilst Jools is downstairs making busy getting ready for her day of work.

Another walk to the quacks I do get up to check on the world and find its still going to hell in a handcart. Brexit still happening, Trump still 45 and so on.

But we plough on.

Another walk to the quacks I get dressed and shortly after seven set off for the surgery, early I know, but it is a glorious morning out there, and I might like to linger in places to look at flowers and/or insects.

Despite the heavy rain on Monday, the ground was still firm under foot, which was rather surprising, I thought it would be like the Somme to be honest. Even down the dip, ground was still easy to walk on, albeit with stones and rubble left over from the rivers that had flown down it the day before. The bottom was like a pnd of course, but I picked a path through it and up the other side, taking time to look at the views to Chez Jelltex behind.

Another walk to the quacks Along the top road back into the village, I was passed by a middle aged jogger, doing better than I could for sure, I hear him coming, huffing and puffing, so we greet each other, and he carries on in front of me.

Another walk to the quacks I take a different footpath through the village, along less travelled path, skirting close to the football pitch, then round two fields, past a couple of lonely looking horses.

Another walk to the quacks I reach the surgery and find that I am half an hour early, and with the heating on full, it seems like a sauna in the waiting room.

Another walk to the quacks I am called and a sample taken: it is red.

My blood pressure is taken and there is a significant drop, now within normal limits. Which is good news.

Another walk to the quacks I can go, but will go back for the blood test results on Thursday.

Down the long path which runs parallel to the main road, separated by a small field that has been left fallow and wild flowers are taking it over. Its last crop, broad beans, set seed so spikes of that can be seen all over it.

Another walk to the quacks Through the village and past the pond, busy with 13 ducklings and two proud mothers herding them round the pond.

Down Station Road and up the other side to home. I had resisted the call of the ice cream in the village shop, instead opting for breakfast at home and that wonderful first coffee of the day. It was ten o'clock.

Another walk to the quacks So, down to work.

Three hours later, I have lunch sitting in the garden, surrounded by warm sunshine, spring flowers and the birds being very happy with the state of things.

And more work until four, and taking a deep breath I go upstairs to do another session on the cross trainer, just because I know I should.

Another walk to the quacks Jools has been busy since February, planting seeds, growing them on, potting them up, before hardening them ready to be planted out. Right now we have six or seven trays of plants, plus more on windowsills around the house. So as I prepare dinner, Jools pots more up, the final stage before the hardening and planting out. We still have a lot of space in the new beds to fill.

We dine on pasta salad and aubergine, of course, and instead of wine, I switch to IPA. Should be squash, but you know. Squash.

Jools pots more plants up in the utility room as it gets dark, while I tidy up and settle down to listen to some football. I end up listening to the second half in bed again, and miss the last 5 minutes as I fall asleep with Scully stretched out beside me.

1 comment:

nztony said...

I feel like I joined you on the walk to the doctors and back, knowing just about every step of the way, most nostalgic.