Sunday 30 August 2020

Saturday 29th August 2020

Record Store Day (part 1) 2020. I mention the above as it is a thing, and we have a proper record shop near us, one that sells ales as well as records; something for everyone. And this above event as The The had a new single out, recorded using the same mellatron as used on This is The Day over 30 years ago, and I thought I would give it a go to get a copy which was being released for the event.

We wre up just after six, it is only just getting light at that time. It was grey and cool, typical for a bank holiday weekend if i'm honest.

We have coffee and breakfast, and much to Jools' surprise I announce I am going to Deal. I won't be long.

With it being a holiday, and Deal being on the seaside, it should have been busy, and busier than it has been, but still not back to normal. At ten past nine, there were still dozens of parking spaces free. I park at the far side, leaving a short walk to Smugglers Records. It is open, and there is no queue. I was directed to the RSD releases, but The The was sold out, they had just three copies.

Two hundred and forty two I look through the rack and find a Lovely Eggs lp, on picture disc, so I get that.

Just along the High Street is a fine cheese shop, No Name Shop, which sells unpasteurised French cheeses. It is easy to get carried away, so I limit myself to two cheeses. And a baguette. And some egg tarts. But that is it.

Middle Street I leave town before I can spend more money, getting back home in 40 minutes.

The weather doesn't improve, we have second breakfast and more coffee, whilst listening to the radio.

A few weeks ago I had bought some plug plants. We had planted the Viper's Bugloss, but the Moth Mulleins were still in their pots, and needed to be sorted. So before I got listening to Huey, we went out and planted the eight plants around the garden. The garden is looking neat and tidy now, thanks to the time Jools has put in over her time on furlough.

Pain et fromage We have stinky French cheese and fresh bread for lunch, which is every bit as fabulous as it sounds.

Then Jools asked "are you going to buy some new speakers?" The cats between them have been taking it out of the bass refelexs on the right hand channel, to the point the sound is no affected. I have not used the hi fi for many months. Now I should point out that the money from Mum's estate hasn't been burning a hole in my pocket, there is no camera equipment i really wanted. But, speakers, eh?

Shall we go to Canterbury to the hi-fi shop? Yes we shall.

At least the shop is on this side of the city, so we didn't have to fight our way round the ring road. We park outside the ruined abbey, walk through Waitrose car park to the shop.

I go in and announce I have been told to buy some speakers.

How much would Sir like to spend.

I have no idea.

What amp does Sir have?

Technics A300 mk2.

Oooh, some power there. How about these KEFs?

I knew there is a room at the back where stuff can be tested out: can we hear them?

Give us 5 minutes, Sir.

When it was all wired up, I was asked, what would Sir like to hear?

Like a Prayer 12" I say.

He struggled to find the exact mix in the legion of versions on a streaming device.

He put one on and it sounded OK. Better than OK.

Can you play WFL (Think About the Future mix)?

Give me a minute.

Boom. Boom. Boom.

Sounded good.

Can you deliver?

Yes, on Wednesday.

I buy the speakers I didn't know I wanted.

We walk back to the car and drive home. Jools drives, its safer if I'm honest.

For dinner we have caprese, with tomatoes from our garden, including the first of the striped beefsteaks, which was very tasty indeed. It all goes rather well with the potato bread I made, stuffed with hard Italian cheese.

It felt like November, so we put the heating on and watch Gardener's World, while outside it gets dark.

No comments: