Sunday 5 September 2021

Saturday 4th September 2021

It am the weekend.

And being the weekend, when we could lie in bed until midday, we were up and about at twenty past six, me up forst, feeding the cats, and causing Jools to jump and get dressed as she had just 15 minutes before she had to leave to go swimming.

Oh yes, swimming.

As schools have started up this week, activities for schoolchildren at the pool have started up to, and the once spacious lanes are now half the size, so that half to pool is given over to swimming club. This means that adult swimmers are more tightly corralled and space to take your time and enjoy a swim was much reduced.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent Jools left at half past, and will now try other times to see when there will be less crowded times for splashing around in the water.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent I remained home, bleary-eyed looking at the internet and with the radio on.

And drank coffee.

Jools returned, I made breakfast and fresh coffees, had a shower and we ate breakfast, ready for what the day had in store.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent Uploading shots to Twitter, I saw that Orelestone needed a revisit as I had yet to see inside, I hoped against hope Old Romney would beopen, even if the website said it was still closed, but referenced out of date Government advice, and a short distance away was New Romney, of course.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent And another "of course" is that Old Romney is not as old as New Romney church. Just so you know.

We drove out to Ashford along the M20 where there was a high concentration of idiots, one guy who though the outside lane, either on the two or three lane parts was for his own use, and his use only, and would not move over. Elsewhere was the usual lack of indicators, late turns and lane switching. I have a lot tollerance of such things, thinking that as long as one indicates in plenty of time, the rest will be forgiving. Jools thinks I bully, but the right hand lane is for overtaking only, once overtaking is done, move over.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent Is it that hard?

Anyway, once heading across the Marsh on the 2070, traffic was lighter and less fraught. We turned off at Hamstreet, then turned away from the village, taking the next right down Church Lane which lead to the chuch. Yay.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent The church was locked, with no keyholder, and forms already out for Ride and Stride, not boding well for next week it being manned, I might give it a try.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent Back onto the main road, then turn back east along the main A259 to Old Romney. I could see the squat tower a few miles off, showing well through the trees that surrounds it's graveyard.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent St Clement is a large sprawling church, confusing for the churchcrawler as one tries to make out the story of the building over the centuries. That is even more confused as much painting and renovation was done as it was used in a 1970s film, Dr Syn. The work done then has last well.

St Clement, Old Romney, Kent We last came 13 months ago I think. Or was it in October? Anyway, the church was locked as the tower and spire had been struck my lightning and it was covered in scaffolding. I took pictures of the outside. Again, and we left.

But as we turned off the main road, and along the single track lane to the church, my hopes were raised. And even before I parked, I could see the "church open" sign on the exterior door.

Yay.

Even better, there were no other cars in the small parking area, so inside we had it to ourselved. I had it to myself.

Two squints, the ancient wooden framework to the door of the rood stairs, monuments, leaning walls at all angles. A gallery to climb and take pictures from. And silence. A cool, calm silence.

I took lots of shots.

Many of them repeats, but with a new camera, as I was last here with my friend, Simon in May 2014. I have leant a lot in seven years.

Once done, we walk back to the car and discuss how bloody hungry we were. A few hundred yards down the main road was a haulage yard with a greasy spoon, but it was closed.

Sigh.

I could almost taste the bacon.

A mile further on I remembered there was a cafe; would that be open? Yes. Yes it would.

I pull over and back out back of the Oasis.

We were shown to our table and gven a menu. With each breakfast you got toast, I thought being called Oasis you should have gotten a roll with it?

No?

I'll get my coat.

I order a breakfast with two sausages, bacon, chips, beans, mushrooms.

Seeing others get their food made the hunger seem all the more sharp.

Two hundred and forty seven When it finally came, it was quite magnificent. Not healthy, but filling.

We eat both our meals up, I drink a second tea.

We pay and leave.

A mile further on is New Romney, I take Church Lane to the church, find a place to park. But I find the vicar locking up as she had a wedding to prepare for later, but it would be open next weekend for Heritage/Ride and Stride.

So, with nothing else to do, we return home along the coast road, through Dymchurch to Hythe and take the road back to the motorway and then, via the pet store for yet more beirdseed, back home. In time for a brew.

And being international break, there is no Prem or much league football, so I write and listen to the radio.

For the evening, we had been invited out!

Jools' brother, Mike and his girlfriend, Jane, invited us over to her new place in Nonington for dinner. And as a bonus, Mike was going to collect Jools and take her over on his motorbike. Leaving me to follow in the wake in the car.

Jane has a small bungalow just up the lane from the village church, it is well equiped and has a big garden. Jane has issues with her legs meaning she can't climb stairs at the moment, so the council provided her with this place.

We talk long about life and the world. Her daughter, Kiera, has a child now, a little girl, of whom we watch videos.

Mike went out for a chinese takeaway, as they don't deliver in these plague times, but the food was great when he returned, and some left over for them the next day too.

At half eight, with darkness falling, we make our excuses and head for home, along the quiet narrow lanes onto the A2 to home. Very few about, making it a pleasant trip and end to the day.

No comments: