Tuesday 24 May 2022

Monday 23rd May 2022

Would have been Dad's 84th birthday, only he's been gone for 26 years.

Life goes on.

But, I am on holiday!

Yay.

I just need to find things to fill my day up with. Easy when it's orchid season.

Or would have been, except it was due to rain most of the day. But no worries, as I can switch from orchids to churches as easy as Maverick can switch from missiles to guns.

So, I made a list. Checked it twice.

But first, as I was going to have the car, Jools was to get a hire car to go back and forth to work, so at eight we left and went to the Enterprise lot on Townwall Street, I waited whilst her documents were checked, and she was shown how the car worked, then I went home, Jools went to work. I to have some breakfast.

And just after nine, I set out on my church quest. There were ten churches, but for the morning, just four. First up was Stodmarsh.

I had last been at Stodmarsh some eight years ago, and due to its dimintive size, I only took wide angle shots, which were not very good. I tried twice in the last year, and found it locked, but would it be open this Monday?

Well, getting there was the first issue, I drove up the A2, turned off to go to Wingham, then turned west towards Canterbury. I turned sharp passing along the top of the narrow high street of Fordwich, carrying on along to Stodmarsh.

The marshy area was already beginning to flood, standing water everywhere, it had stopped being pleasureable.

I parked outside the village pub, walked to the church, finding it unlocked, so I was able to get my shots. I hadn't missed much, just some memorials, really.

Back outside, I went back to the car, the road flooded. A little. I carried on to Grove Ferry, no chance of going for a walk round the nature reserve this day, so at the top of the bank, I turned towards Canterbury, but took the next turning right, pathet Nethergong to Chislet.

I have visited Chislet church several times over the years. First two times it was unlocked and very nice. I wanted to take shots of the memorials, but again, it was locked and no idea how to contact the keyholder. So, I took a shot of the door and walked back to the car.

Rain came down harder.

I knew the next church would be open, so I programmed the post code in and drove up to Thanet Way and then down into Blean, turning off to the church.

One hundred and forty three Last time I came here, light was bad and my shots were crap. Light was no better this day, so I just took the nifty fifty and walked round the church int he rain, there was a large sign at the porch with a fine "church open" sign.

Ss. Cosmus and Damian, Blean, Kent Again, I couldn't find the light switch, so made do with natural light, and got he shots I wanted. But outside the rain came down harder, and it was clear that this was no longer fun, and was becoming dangerous as roads were full of standing water.

Ss. Cosmus and Damian, Blean, Kent After calling in the village shop for a sandwich and a drink of pop, I set controls for home.

I got home at one, it was so dark I needed to have the lights on. I made a brew and munched a large pack of spicy crisps as I watched a science TV show.

Ss. Cosmus and Damian, Blean, Kent Outside the rain came down harder.

The afternoon slipped through my fingers. And it was time to prepare dinner, which involved making a small focaccia lof to go with the caprese.

As ever, it was a fine light and favoursome meal, and the bread wonderful, of course.

No football to watch now the season is done, exept for play off finals and the CL final, so I write then go to bed early to read.

Phew.

No comments: