Monday 23 May 2022

Sunday 22nd May 2022

Early on, I got a message: did I, and then we, want to meet up with friends from the Rhodes Orchid trip for a curry that evening? Yes. Yes we would. Only problem was that we already had a big meal planned for two in the afternoon with Jen coming round. OK, I will bring that forward an hour, cook less, and we should be good to go out later. One hundred and forty two We had coffee, crossants and yet more coffee, and were good to go out. Deep breath. Another climb up Temple Ewell Down to hunt for the Burnt Tip, third time, and I really hope this wouldn't be another fruitless hunt. But then again, a walk is never wasted, though the thoughtlessness of dog-owners and cyclists who seem to think nature reserves are for their entertainment. Two stiles have been kicked in, and another fence knocked down too. Not burnt again But apart from that, there was fine views, butterflies and promise of many more orchid species in the coming weeks, and a single spike of Early Spider was still showing well. It was a tough climb, and I stopped several times. But in time I got to the top, walked along, then down into Lydden. Not burnt again I searched and searched, but saw no Burnt Orchids. Lots of Eyebrights and a few Milkwort hanging on. Deep breath. And back up the down, retracing our steps back to the car. And with little wind, it was warm, if not hot. We go down to the car and head home, and straight away I put lunch on. When I was away, Jools had gone to the butcher and got a Cotes de boeuf, and as she suggested, I followed a recipe rather than treating it as a steak. This meant cooking it at gas mark one quarter for three hours, and then frying it on each side for four minutes in the brandy butter I made on Saturday. Cotes de boeuf Three hours is long enough in which to have a shave, shower, change clothes, peel potatoes, prepare vegetables and general kitchen work. The smells coming from the cooker were amazing, but that was nothing to the ones once it was cooked and I pan fried it in the brandy butter. Jen arrived, and I sliced the steak, dished up while Jools opened the fizz. Cotes de boeuf It was rather wonderful I have to say. And not too filling. And then there was football to watch. At least the final round of games, with Norwich playing hoset to Spurs. I held out little hope, just as well as we were hooped 5-0. At home. Meanwhile, Citeh came from behind to beat Villa and so win the Prem. Everything counts in large amounts. No time to relax. Put on our shoes and hop int he car to a drive to Wye to meet up with Jon, who lead our tour in Rhodes as well as Ken and his wife Tracy who were in the county for another tour lead by Jon or Kent's premier orchid sites. I took the lanes to get there, once of Stone Street over the top of Wye Down past the Devil's Kneading Trough (don't ask), and down into the village. We took our place at the table, as soon the rest arrived, and it was quite the joyous reunion, with much joking and gentle ribbing. The food was great too, I had lentil curry, which was very nice indeed, though a little too much, but still, I'm on holiday.
It was great to see Jon, Ken and Tracy again, but we had a 40 minute drive home, so we had to leave, as Jools was at work in the morning even if I wasn't. We decided to go back via Hinxhill and Ashford, but found the road closed, but the sat nav got us back to the motorway, and from there it was a blast back along to Folkstone and then over the downs into Dover. Phew.

No comments: